X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a line;need info?

Ok,here is what i want to do. i have an existing line running from my breakerbox to a switch box(30 amp general switch)it has the screw in type fuse.i want to come out of that and hook up my dishwasher.Is this ok?should i eleminate the switch?any help would be appriciated. thanks,chic
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Originally posted by chic
    i have an existing line running from my breakerbox to a switch box(30 amp general switch)
    • What is this "30 amp switch box" currently switching?
    • Can you describe this box?
    • What is the voltage?
    • What size wire are we dealing with?
    • What size breaker is supplying it?
    • What other loads are on this circuit?
    • How many amps does the dishwasher pull?
    • How many amps do the other appliances on the same circuit pull?
    Not hounding you, just need more info.

Comment

The wire i am dealing with is 14/2 600 volts it comes from my breaker box off of a 30 amp breaker and runs to a switch box whitch looks like a small breaker box and the switch is a 30 amp breaker.this used to run an old freezer.the dish washer is 110 volt 20 amp dish washer. now i can see my breaker is on the heavy side at 30 amp.there is nothing else on this line

Comment

What happened to the screw in type fuse (a 30A glass fuse maybe?) you mentioned in your first post? Where does that fit into the circuit or is it part of something else since you mention a 30A breaker in your breaker box (the main breaker panel I guess).

I am just trying to picture this setup for myself. I have no plans on offering any advice with this as I am not and electrician. If I were doing it for myself I know what I would do, get a good friend of mine who is an electrician whose knowledge and workmanship I trust to stop over and help me out.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

re:line for dishwasher.

Ok,i think i am going to get this right!

1.I have a line comming out of my main breakerbox.
          2.The line is 14/2 600 volt.
          3.It goes to a switch box.
          4.The box.General Switch Corp. cat.no.632np 30amp 2 pole 125volt. suitable for use as service equipment.
          5.In the box is a switch that looks like a thin breaker.under that is a screww in fuse 30 amp.
          6.comming out of the switchbox was a line that supplied the power for a freezer.
          7.I have disconnected the line that ran from the box to the freezer and got rid of both(the freezer and the old electric line).
          8.I want to wire a new piece of electric line from the switch box to a dishwaser.
          9.The dishwasher is a Frigidare 120 volt,60Hz.tobe run off of a 20 amp breaker.

I think that sums it up I hope.
          thanks for any help chic.

Comment

The wire i am dealing with is 14/2 600 volts it comes from my breaker box off of a 30 amp breaker and runs to a switch box whitch looks like a small breaker box and the switch is a 30 amp breaker.this used to run an old freezer.
            Holy jeez. The 14/2 is (almost) never supposed to be supplied with larger than a 15 amp breaker. This isn't one of the exceptions.

You said the 14/2 says "600 Volts"; that is the rating of the cable, not the voltage of the circuit. That means that the insulation of the conductors can safely withstand up to 600V.

Another way for me to ask this is, does the existing 30 amp breaker occupy two spaces, or one space? If it's a single pole breaker (1 space) then the circuit voltage is 120V. If it takes up two spaces, the circuit is (probably) 240V.

But reusing the existing circuit breaker is not an option, anyway. You need to protect your circuit with a single-pole, 15 amp circuit breaker.

But...

the dishwasher is 110 volt 20 amp.
            line[/QUOTE]
            This means your dishwasher requires a 12-2, 20 amp circuit. Double check the dishwasher's ratings, to be sure. If that's the case, I'd recommend having an electrician come out to fish it in, we can sometimes see paths that don't involve chopping your house up to get it in.

Also, one overloaded circuit usually has friends. You might want somebody to check it over, to be on the safe side. That #14 on a 30 amp breaker stunt could have spelled some real trouble. If someone was willing to do that once, chances are they'd do it twice.

Let us know what you think.

Comment

Thanks rocky ,i have a few electricion friend ,i will have them check the hole thing out before putting my family in any jeopardy.I would have had it checked out before doing this type of work anyways.this is the reason i post here is to get your and anyone elses oppinion.I do value all oppinions.
              thanks chic.
              PS.I did know what the 600 volts meant on the wire,but you all wanted specifics....

Comment

the breaker in my box is a 15amp.i messed up when i posted. the fuse in the switch box i wanted to use was a 30 amp fuse.
                My fault,i shoud reread what i post. my bad...

Comment

I did know what the 600 volts meant on the wire,but you all wanted specifics....
                  No sarcasm was intended, just being thorough.

Good to hear about the 15 amp breaker.

Comment

I rather have a person experianced,tell me the does and dont's!and i did not take it as sarcasim,just good advice.

Comment

Chic, check the frigidaire site for the install instructions for your unit.

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/d...roductlist.asp

The reason I ask you to do that is that I have not seen a residential DW that requires a 20A circuit. If you only need a 15A circuit then you don't need to run that new 12/2 wire the 14/2 will be all you need for a 15A circuit

Comment

Thanks brooks,i'll check it out.
                        john.

Comment

Working...
                        X