X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper name?

I have a regular light switch for my garage light that my garage door plugs in to. I would like to replace it with one of those switches that takes a tool or key to turn it on and off. I have seen them in public buildings and schools and the use a regular switch plate. I have been unable to find them at the local home stores. The reason I want to replace it is to prevent turning off the light and opener by accident.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Why not just tie the two wires going into the switch together, and leave the switch there to cover the hole? That's almost free, except for the wirenut.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Sparky
      Why not just tie the two wires going into the switch together, and leave the switch there to cover the hole? That's almost free, except for the wirenut.
      I thought about that also, but would rather be able to turn it off if I need to.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I believe they're called tamperproof switches, or maybe security switches, something like that.

If your garage door opener is cord-and-plug-connected, and you have a pull chain for the light, why would you need to turn it off?

Any chance of putting in a new run for the opener? Either a new circuit, or just another feed from the switch in question? Then you could use a regular light, and not shut off your opener.

Comment

GOOGLE is your friend...

even if you're not the worlds greatest electrician!

http://www.stayonline.com/detail~ID~4404.html
          Lorax
          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

locking wall switch

Comment

Beatcha by thaaaat much

Originally posted by BILLG
              locking wall switch
              DUH!!!
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

picture

Lorax

A picture says a thousand words Nice job on his answer....................
                Thanks
                GB Enterprises
                Doing it right the first time!!

Comment

they also make something called a keyed-switch it works like a single pole but it turns on and off with a round key like the ones that are used to open a lock on a soda machine not sure if any of you guys know what i am talking about but i recently used one of them to control a 120 volt horn for a makeshift burgular alarm they work great but are a little expensive and cannot be purchased from lowes or home depot you have to get them at an electrical supply house

Comment

Working...
                  X