X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230v 3phase

i just got what i think might be a good deal on a table saw,but it has a 230volt3 phase motor on to from westing house 1750 rpm 4 hp 14 amp though the amps in my mind dont seem to make 4 hp but that is what is stamped on it i do know this is not the right motot for this saw as it is dated 1986 and the saw says oliver model 208-45-b and is dated 1958 the owner says he used to use it in a cabnit shop and when the shop updated there equpiment he got for a good deal and has never used it since(due to the fact it is 3 phase i bet) but what would a good motor be to replace this one with either 120v or 220v singel phase would be fine with me
    9/11/01, never forget.

osc, a 2hp. motor under load will draw roughly 17-21 amps at 120 volts. therefore i would wire this for 240 volt. 1/2 the amps 8.5-10.5.

option #2 get a 1.5 hp. motor with c56 frame. this will allow for a 120 or 240 volt operation with a simple wiring change and will draw approx 13 amps under load at 120 and 6.5 at 240.

i thought you gave up the wood and got into some real work

plumbing.

plumber rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

You could buy a motor from Ridgid.
      They have 6.5 hp motors that run on 120 volts and only draw 11 amps.
      Just look at their vacuums.

Comment

That sounds right on the amp draw for "3-Phase" motor. A five hp only draws 15.2 amps at full load.

The problem is , you would have to have a phase convertor to run this, unless you have three-phase power, which is very doubtful. Your best bet is to just buy a new motor for the saw.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit
          That sounds right on the amp draw for "3-Phase" motor. A five hp only draws 15.2 amps at full load.

The problem is , you would have to have a phase convertor to run this, unless you have three-phase power, which is very doubtful. Your best bet is to just buy a new motor for the saw.

Regards,
          that is what i want to do i just dont know what i need as far as power and rpm.i do have 220v but not 3 phase
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OSC, You want to find at least a 2 hp 220v with the same 1750 rpm. Other wise you would have to change out the pullies too. Check Grizzly for a motor, they have a pretty good selction
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

you could use a static phase converter, a rotary would be better but it would be more of a hassle as it has to be running before starting the saw, or any other three phase motor, but it does produce superior power,

with a static you could get about 2/3 of your motors rated horse power, with a rotary you could get name plate rating,

I use both a rotary and a static phase converter for a number of years on my (static) Bridgeport mill and (rotary)walk in cooler the rotary must be running before starting the 3 phase motor,

the static changes the phase through capacitors and energizes the third winding to work as a start winding, to get the motor running then kicks out, and then it basically runs on 2 of the 3 windings in the motor,

the rotary is basically a static converter attached to a "fancy" three phase motor, that when it is running it generates the third phase,

I now have three phase ran to the shop, and the walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X