Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 points to make right off.
    1. read the disclaimer.
    2. If i am wrong , and i know i messed up on a few things, then why wait until now to jump in? Why not sooner when this thread first appeared?
    3. Yes i am still learning and if I was master MD's Apprentice i would have no people skills whatsoever.

At work the journeyman i am with mentioned how we put a 75 amp panel in most basements Either i misunderstood him or, he meant to say 70 amp panel.

As for Gfci's if you have a dedicated circuit for an appliance in you basement like a freezer, water heater, furnace, or other appliance's connected with cord then you don't need to have them gfci protected. Some of your tools which are double insulated, (if you don't understand "double insulated, I'm sure master MD wrote a paper on it. ) pose no danger to the user. Some larger tools with the inrush of current may trip a gfci constantly. But if they don't trip the gfci the who Care's.

master MD read pg 71 of the manual for the TS3650. The dryer outlet won't work, since the saws cord only has two conductors and a ground wire. The saw also has it's own overload protection. As a consolation it does tell you in the manual to get an electrician to re wire you motor if you are unfamiliar with how to do it yourself.
    So you can't just go plug you $649 dollar saw into the dryer outlet, the sub panel is the best option really, and since the 75 amp panel and breaker don't exist then a 70 or 80 will have to do.
    So what size feeder would you use for a 70 amp panel?
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

polar,
      you are wrong again, that is the purpose for installing the disconect
      you will cap off the neutral wire and install a receptacle dude you claim to be a licensed wireman this is simple stuff.

please make your posts as educated as possible a 70 or 80 amp sub panel dont exist either you can breaker a 125 amp panel to 70 or 80 amps nec 310.14 says that # 4 thhn is good for 85 amps.

you are also must be mis understanding the guy you work with because morethan likeley you are installing a 60 amp sub panel fed with #6/3 romex not S.E.C.

and if you were my apprntice you might not have any people skills but you would be a better electrician than what you have proven yourself to be.
      Last edited by MD MASTER SPARKY; 04-18-2006, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Polar,
        do you eaven own a current copy of NFPA 70 ?? (N.E.C.)

or hasnt the guy you work for taught you about the code yet ??

and if you do have a copy you should take some time to read and understand it.
        I dont believe that you are licensed like you claim. nor do i believe that you are an accredited apprentice

you are just an installer ( a house monkey) installing circuitry that someone else other than you has layed out and you dont need to understand how it works

by the way this is a shot at you because i know you are full of crap

Comment

Wow, I forget to check in for a couple weeks, look what happens.

Originally posted by MD MASTER SPARKY
          a simple solution would be:

if the dryer outlet is in close vecinity to the saw you are trying to operate just simply make an extention cord out of # 10 wire with a dryer plug on one end and get a simple 30 amp fused dusconect which can be fused at 15, 20 or what ever attach this disconect to the table then from the disconect you can now pull a 220v. receptacle which would be protected, cost efficiant and safe.
          That's a pretty funny solution. Why spend $20, when you can spend $80 and have something to bang your leg on (the disconnect)? And have the joys of moving your dryer everytime you work in the garage!

MD: You love tearing Polar a new one, and the fact is, he has never made any claims to knowing everything. You can politely make your point without being so da**ed negative.

For what it's worth, if I install a 125A 30-space subpanel on a 70A breaker, I will call it a "70 amp panel" so that Joe Homeowner will not think he has 125A to play with. Further, in pleasant conversation, I don't whip out a code book and verify that indeed, a 70 amp breaker exists. I generally will on a forum post, but not always. So lay off the pointless insults - you look way cooler making polite corrections.

Swoosh, I give you props for the respect with which you posted.

Mary, can we start from the top on this?
          • What brand of panel is it? Model number?
          • Is there anything that says "200A 20/30space panelboard" or something along those lines on it?
          It could very well be that all you need is a few tandem breakers to free up two slots in your panel, and a chunk of 12-2, and a 20A 250V receptacle.

But before we endorse this, we need to know what type of panel it is, and how many spaces it is allowed to have. A 20/30 space panel, for example, has 20 spaces, but 5 rows of the busses the breaker plugs into allow tandem breakers (so the absolute max is 30 breakers).

Comment

you should not have to whip out the code book to see if a certain type of breaker exists as a licensed electrician you should know what types exist or dont

i/m done with this one

Comment

A 70 amp sub panel is made by square D....there is no 80 darn

http://www.squared.com/us/products/l...rsFrameset.htm

http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/.../17301010.html

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
                maryjo, the dryer is typically a 30 amp circuit. the saw will require either a 15 or 20 amp circuit. so the answer is yes, you do need a deticated circuit for the saw. each appliance needs a dedicated circuit.
                it's possible that you might be able to install the thin breakers in your panel

if not you will need a sub panel.

let the sparks fly

rick.
                all you sparkies, didn't i state all of this in the first post?

when i said let the sparks fly, i didn't expect another "mole".

sound's like maryjo checked out on this one. maybe follow her lead

there is always a difference of opinion when you have pros in the trade.
                just read some of the plumbing threads

or better yet, all of you that feel you're correct, just go down to maryjo's and do it for her. that way it's safe and this subject is closed

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                  1. read the disclaimer.
                  2. If i am wrong , and i know i messed up on a few things, then why wait until now to jump in? Why not sooner when this thread first appeared?
                  1. I did that's why I don't listen to you!!
                  2.The reason I didn't is because this forum isn't my life as it seems to be some of the peoples in here!! So I'm not on here every night!!

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                  So what size feeder would you use for a 70 amp panel?
                  Now in previous topics you said you had your license so you should know . But since you don't I'll tell ya the proper feeder is 6/3 romex!!

Comment

How many ways can you beat a dead horse?
                    SSG, U.S. Army
                    Retired
                    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

My dad always said "hit it till it quits squirming."
                      Plumber Rick what other "moles" can you think of?

is it any wonder we get the reputation for whining a lot?
                      Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 04-18-2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81
                        Now in previous topics you said you had your license so you should know .
                        Uh, he was honest enough to post his license, which had APPRENTICE stamped on it. I'm sure you knew everything as an apprentice, but the rest of us have a learning curve, I guess.

For all your talk, you were not brave enough to back up your tone with a piece of paper to answer this apprentice's card, so perhaps you should drop it, ey?

Originally posted by swoosh81
                        But since you don't I'll tell ya the proper feeder is 6/3 romex!!
                        When you post a joke, you need to clarify that it's a joke so that people don't walk away thinking you were serious. You see, I have the NEC, so I know that if you want 70 amps from NM cable, then you must size the conductors according to the 60° column from Table 310.16, because 334.80 tells me so.

See, so I get your joke because I know that 6/3 romex is only good for 55 amps, which I can breaker at 60 amps according to 240.4(B).

But I don't think anybody else in here got your joke.

Edit: Come to think of it, even if you were using conduit and THHN, if you used #6 THHN, it would only be good for 65A, so you wouldn't really squeeze 70 amps out of it. We could breaker it at 70 if the load didn't exceed 65A, but it's technically not worth 70A at that rate. I guess maybe I don't get your joke either....?
                        Last edited by Rocky Mountain Sparky; 04-20-2006, 07:37 AM.

Comment

If you want to run a dedicated line you may be able to use minis and free up some space for your new circuit.

Comment

That was PlumberRicks' solution 3 weeks ago.
                            Lorax
                            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
                              That was PlumberRicks' solution 3 weeks ago.
                              lorax, i think that i answered the whole question 3 weeks ago post #2

these electricians just want to bring up the electrical forum count

if not the forum will get droped

so far all they managed to do is piss off "plumber"

it's always better to be pissed off, than pissed on.

do ya know what happened to the fly on the toilet bowl

first he got pissed on, then he got pissed off

plumbers humor

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Just leave the dead horse alone!

Comment

Working...
                                X