X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multimeters?

I want to buy a good multimeter as a thank you gift. I am willing to pay up to $150 for it. Any suggestions on what to buy?

cinnamon, didn't i help you last week.

anything in the 150.00 range will do.

thank's again,

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yes, you helped a while back. Everything is good as we speak! At work we use Fluke, wondering if there is something better on the market.

So what do you know about landscaping that's my next project?

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamon
        Yes, you helped a while back. Everything is good as we speak! At work we use Fluke, wondering if there is something better on the market.

So what do you know about landscaping that's my next project?
        sprinklers and low voltage lights. my wife knows about the plants.

fluke is just fine i like the one with the amp probe on it. yellow will do

do ya know my address it's the house with the green lawn

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamon
          I want to buy a good multimeter as a thank you gift. I am willing to pay up to $150 for it. Any suggestions on what to buy?
          Fluke meters are the standard of the industry. Fluke also just bought out Wavetek/Meterman. You also can't go wrong with EXTECH, though they have fewer dealers.
          Other good meters (in NO particular order):

BK Precision
          Protek
          Triplett
          AEMC
          Agilent/Hewlett-Packard
          Amprobe
          Hioki - (these guys make awesome battery testers)
          Instek
          Megger/Biddle
          Beckman

Stay away from the Chinese/Taiwan stuff (if you want a lasting meter).
          Phil
          Tools Rule

Comment

My Flukes have never let me down. What's it going to be used for? Every model will do something different or a little better than others. A good all around meter for electricians, is the Fluke 87 it will set you back about $400. The clamp-on has to be bought seperately, but I've never had a better meter.

Comment

AEMC actually makes some of the Fluke models for Fluke and is usually cheaper.
              Get a clipon ammeter with a continuity tone and the ability to do AC and DC.

Comment

The Fluke T5-1000. It don't get any better. LOL Been using it for almost 4 years now and it is great. Going price is around $125. 1000 volt 100amp.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan
                  The Fluke T5-1000. It don't get any better. LOL Been using it for almost 4 years now and it is great. Going price is around $125. 1000 volt 100amp.

If I had to have only one meter for electrical, THAT one would be it...
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

Fluke 85

This is the one that I use. Good for all around small to large stuff. More spendy though...
                    Attached Files
                    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

WW, I retired one of those to the home shop when I got my T5. Nice meters but too many functions and chances of having it set to the wrong function for the work I do. LOL Having the built in amp probe is why I chose it originally and now would be lost without it.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Ya, I got mine way back when I was in college getting my EE degree. I have used it since in the Telco industry working with specialized circuits to traveling the world in the Semi industry working with small component boards to fab building construction. I would be lost without the features, but now I no longer use it much in my current job functions as a "computer geeek" so it mostly collects dust in the shop now. I have used the T5 and agree that it is a solid device however. The amp probe is a nice feature. I suppose it all comes down to what you are using it for and what you are used to!? Heck I even have an old O-scope that my wife keeps trying to convince me to sell, but who knows what my future holds? Might need it all over again!

WWS
                        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

My Oscope is an Army surplus I picked up in 1981. Still works great. I play with electronics as a hobby. For work, I am an overhead crane and hoist tech. Most of my work is with 3 phase motors and controls.

Comment

At my place of employment we probably calibrate and repair when needed a thousand meters a year and Fluke is by far the most dependable. If they are sturdy enough to be abused on the flight line and still maintain their accuracy I’m sure they will suffice for almost any routine electrical work.

Woodslayer

Comment

Working...
                            X