• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stripping copper wire

acitone

Comment

I used an insulation ripper last time I did scrap. An old school Telecom tool, it is a plastic block with a razor knife in it, a grove and a metal finger guard.Mine is made by Benner Nawman and is at least 30 yrs old. But it does the job

Comment

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5C656

Comment

the wire
          The Wire Seasons 1-5 DVD Boxset

Comment

Hi HVAC HAWK.

I order copper wire from fcx. Flat Wire and Copper Strip is a rectangular or square shaped wire that has been rolled from round wire or extruded stock to precision tolerances. But it was very big order.

http://www.fcx.com/metals/round.htm
            http://www.fcx.com/metals/flat.htm

Comment

Unstripped or burned wire does in fact decrease the value. Here in the US wire burned or unstripped is considered Number 3 and number 2 respectively. Clean stripped copper wire is considered number 1 or (A) and brings the absolute most money.

Take the wire and tie it to something. Using a regular pocket knife start the slice and pull the knife along while removing a small strip. The wire must stretched out and not crumpled up. Its easy, takes a little practice and brings the most bang for your buck.

I don't know where you live or what country or planet but, #1 wire is fairly large wire and is good for 110 amps at the least. It should be stripped by the method I described. Burning is stupid and it is not good for anyones health or the environment.
              Licensed Electrician

Comment

Let people like me buy it who have copper granulators... and i dont recommend burning... any scrap yard within like an hour away from our location wont accept it due to us

Comment

yea epa blows ... he said which is logical more money for the weight stripped.. anything smaller than 6awg really aint worth your time but #1 awg is no hard at all with your utility knife i strip 500lbs beween 1/0 and #1 by myself cutting like above posters said its called pencil cut (just like u sharpen a pencil with ur utility knife) the warmer the better
                  p.s if ur in s. florida go to josphe's scrap off 84 and i-95 #1 clean copper going for $2.25 lb goodluck

Comment

You could purchase a wire stripping machine or attempt to make your own.....you have two options if you're going to make your own....mechanical feeder with a blade just past the feed rollers (one of which would obviously have to be spring loaded to allow different sizes) or you can go with something that needs to be a little more precise but seems to work well....a set of rollers that "crush" the insulation causing it to split along the side.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                    X