X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughrouly Pissed Off!!!!

Spent the morning playing carpenter and all went well. Then traded my nail apron in for my meter and started playing sparky games. 2 bedrooms had light switches that controlled wall outlets, my son wanted cieling lights instead. No big deal (#&*$@#*)$(%@) Found out the original 60 amp fuse panel had been replaced in 91 and a lot of new circuits added. It's a dam good thing the fool who did this job didn't put a name or business sticker anywhere, or I would be in jail for murder. All original circuits are fine considering they are the old cloth covered wires, none are brittle or falling apart. All new circuits added were done with 14/2 romex. Notice I did not say 14/2 w/ground? If that was not bad enough, the dam guy did NOT know what a wire nut was. Every junction box or connection in the wiring was done by twist and tape. Every outlet and switch was the push in type, no screw connectors on the sides of any of them. All junction boxes were under the attick floor boards, not mounted, and not covered. From noon until 8:30 this evening I was playing sparky and it will be sun-up to sun-down again tommorow. Dam,I want a piece of somebodys A$$
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Originally posted by papadan
    Thoughrouly Pissed Off!!!!
    Wow papadan. Don't think I have ever seen so much, um, anger?, from you before. Sorry to hear of the shoddy work done by the previous "electrician". At least you caught it before anything terrible could happen and are getting it done right! Hope things go better for you tomorrow. I'll be playing handyman while repairing a hole in the carpet from the dogs that the LMOL won't let me give a Winchester massage. Guess I'd still rather do that than the work you have ahead of you though.

WWS
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I ran into a light done like that in a buddies wartime house that he rented at university. The owner changed a few light fixtures and must have tossed the wire nuts out. He just twisted the wire from the new fixtures together and stuffed them back in the box -- no tape just bare. We found it because the light would flicker a bit when it was on. I pulled the light off and you could see arcing marks on the inside of the box as well. A good lesson for anyone that bought a house with a professionally finished basement or renovated house, pull a few plates and look at the wiring job or have someone do it for you.
      Well Dan at least you can fix that dumb A$$ light switch at the front.

Comment

It may no have even been an electrician that did it. In salt lake we had to redo a house were the guy bought the house cheap and then do half #$$ work. well an inspector caught him and made him hire some professionals to fix what he screwed up. He also had to pay some fines for not having a building permit!

To not even use wire nuts is plain stupid, 7 cents a piece isn't a big deal. And one of the few exceptions to not having a junction box for a wire splice is in temporary construction. my dads house was full of surprises, some walls were wired with extension cords, and the light fixture in my bedroom would just turn with the light bulb so, (until i could reach and hold on to both), my dad would no let me change it out.

If bigthorn ever reads this then he knows who really cuts corners. No tradesman that takes pride in his work would pull this crap!
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Previous owners were an old couple. He passed away about 10 years ago and she is in a nursing home now. They hired the work done by someone, The box and GFCI circuits for the bathrooms and kitchen were done correctly and passed inspection. I guess that is when the guy started cutting all the corners he could, the owners trusted him to do a good job because it passed inspection after the box change.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Today we were at a rental commercial unit and the former renters had taken out the lights they had put in. They remodeled the building to suit their needs and rearranged a lot of the wiring, and they people that did the electrical work for them didn't believe in junction boxes! They pulled some of the old lights of the ceiling and put them else were. When they left and ripped the lights and vents out of the ceiling and cover the gaps in the grid ceiling with new foam tiles. So half the building has not light and no power to the switches.
            Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 05-15-2006, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Today we remodeled a kitchen and dinning room. We had to add some counter top outlets for the china cabinet/buffet area. I opened the box i was going to get power from and the moron that attempted to add another outlet years ago didn't twist his wires, When i pulled on the two white and on e black wire to straighten them out the black came clean off and had no sign of ever being in a wire not at all. The splice had been done outside of the box and just came apart. I was luck though that the wires were long enough for me to tie in my two new outlets between the two.
              And Every thing worked correctly when we left.

Comment

I've seen so-called "professionals" half-a$$ things so badly that sometimes even unskilled home owners couldn't do any worse. Unfortunately too many tradesmen today don't have pride in their work - it's sad really...
                You'd think for the price most of these clowns charge they would do a half way decent job - or at least a safe job...

Comment

I just boght a 40 year old house and have had fun replacing the aluminum wiring and all of the recpts. I found that the previous owner solved her draft problem by packing the electrical boxes on the outside walls with tissue. In general most people do not understand the hazards of electrical. I had one circuit supplied from two different breakers. I shut one breaker off and assumed (stupid me) that the line was dead, and arced the end off my (insulated - thankfully) snips. Again it was a homemade basement job by someone who did not take the time to either get it done right or learn how to do it right before starting.

JC
                  JC

Comment

Working...
                  X