X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for an electric wall oven

I'm installing a new double wall oven and will be running new wires to it. The oven manual states to use a 40amp breaker and make a 4 wire connection in the box (black/red/white/green all separate). Having not run a 4 wire 240 circuit before, just want to check on the connections in the panel: black/red on the breaker, white and ground on the neutral bar (seems obvious, and I can't think of any other way to do it) - is this correct? The length of the wiring run will be ~ 50ft ; is 10/3 AWG ok, or should I use 8/3 wire? Any tips on how to make the connection between the oven pigtail and the wall box? seems like the oven is going to be right in the way of getting into the cabinet.

Thanks much,

Steve

Originally posted by SteveW
    I'm installing a new double wall oven and will be running new wires to it. The oven manual states to use a 40amp breaker and make a 4 wire connection in the box (black/red/white/green all separate). Having not run a 4 wire 240 circuit before, just want to check on the connections in the panel: black/red on the breaker, white and ground on the neutral bar (seems obvious, and I can't think of any other way to do it) - is this correct? white to the neutral buss and green to the grounding lug. the neutral is bonded at the main service panel already The length of the wiring run will be ~ 50ft ; is 10/3 AWG ok, or should I use 8/3 wire? 8/3 with ground. Any tips on how to make the connection between the oven pigtail and the wall box? seems like the oven is going to be right in the way of getting into the cabinet. the oven comes with a 5' pigtail. usually you can set the oven on the ground or a set of saw horses and still be able to reach the junction box for the final connection.

Thanks much,

Steve
    fortunatally when i did new construction plumbing, we did all the gas oven installations and the electricians did all the electric oven installations.
    now i do what is on the job. most built in ovens are tending to be electric now.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If you are running power straight from your panel you run it in 8/3.
      In your panel the RED and Black will go to your breaker and if you don't have a ground bar in your panel then the White (neutral) and ground wire will go to the neutral bar.

is the cord for the oven long enough you can put a 50 amp cord end on it and put in a 50 amp outlet in your box. Then you only have to fit the wire between the wall and the oven and you won't have any open boxes. Just in case something cam loose it would be in the wall and covered.

just a second opinion agreeing with Rick.
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips. The new wiring will go direct from the panel to the oven. The wire on the oven is about 3-4' long. I think I read somewhere that codes do not allow plugs/receptacles on an oven; it must be connected within the box; any comments? Also, the wire on the oven appear to be aluminum; does there need to be anything special done to the connection with the copper wire from the panel?

Steve

Comment

the copper to alum. wires need to be connected with the proper wire nuts and an anti oxident. are you sure the wires are alum? not just tin coated on the ends?

i don't think the oven would have alum. wires

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I do not agree with the cord idea. The ambient temperature behind the oven could compromise the ampacity (and life) of a cord. Stick with the factory-supplied whip and junction box.

As for the aluminum wiring, I agree with Rick's skeptism. The wiring from the oven should be fine in direct contact with copper - it must have tinning over the conductors you're seeing, or something.

Be advised, wall ovens are a test of patience. Take your time and expect delays getting the junction box in the right spot, and the oven in the wall. Use a piece of string or strapping (or a conductor) to manipulate the whip as you slide the oven into place - just be sure that you set it up so your string can be removed just before the oven is completely in place.

Comment

Thanks again. After a very close inspection, the oven wires are tinned copper; I feel much better now. I've still got a bunch of crummy aluminum wiring in this house (it was build in '69), though it will be gone from the kitchen after this remodel.

Steve

Comment

run 8-3 with ground to the double oven then in the back of the cabinet usually the upper right hand corner mount a 4x4 box and tie the wires in from the whip on the oven inside the box and put a blank cover on it be sure to measure everything good to make sure the oven will not hit the box

Comment

Re: Wiring for an electric wall oven

I too am trying to install a new double oven. The house was built in 1999 and came with a single oven. When I took it out, the wires were outside the electrical junction box. They were connected and heavily taped and were hanging out behind the oven in the extra space in front of the wall. This could not be up to code, no matter what state you live in.
                  I want the electrical box to be correct.
                  If I place the wire from the oven with the stiff metal conduit through a hole in the front cover, it will not be flexible enough to make room for the oven. I could place a wire clamp on the wires after they leave the metal conduit but this does not seem safe.
                  So it appears that I will have to come from the bottom of the junction box with the oven wires. This means I have to cut a hole in the back drywall to get the oven wires to make it to the junction box from below. I will only have 1.5 inches between the back of the oven and the back wall. Any suggestions?

Comment

jg

sounds like oven was installed by a plumber. lol. breid.......

Comment

Working...
                    X