X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finer

Thank You for changing it. Even after you point out how dangerous something is, many people just look the other way.

Comment

ND Master. The setup I got from Briggs & Stratton, with the generator(in the box) at HD has the 2 male ends. I assumed it was ok to use. And when the guy came and setup my outside hook up he didn't say anything about it, and he was licensed. ????? I'm very confused.....

Comment

Not to be ignorant but think about it. Would you have an extension cord laying around with dual male ends? Even worse, one that spits out 240 non GFI volts. To me it is an accident waiting to happen. When do you need a gen? Usually after a heavy rain and its dark ... hey who unplugged the cord from the box? here's the end, never mind I'm dead ....

Comment

Re: External Generator Transfer Switch

If you want to put it outside and depending on where you are you may want to consider one of these www.generlink.com

Comment

I know this thread got started in the summer of 2006 so this is kind of late, but if anyone needs this info, here is a company that makes many types of manual transfer devices, accessories and special connecting cords. Most good electrical supply houses can order from them what you need.

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Default.aspx

Take some time to prowl about their web site.

Installation of such devices should only be done by a good licensed electrical contractor. It has to be done right or you'll have a very dangerous mess on your hands and can face cival and criminal charges if anyone gets harmed.

Comment

I like the idea of the Generlink which installs between the meter and the socket. Kind of scares me though when the web site says "Now UL Approved". I would have hoped that it was UL approved before it hit the street, and I can't see any utility allowing such a piece of electrical equipment to be installed in their system w/o a UL stamp. I plan to get a generator for our house some time soon and I am going to forward the link to the Generlink site to my utility and see what they have to say about it and if they will install it. I have been wanting them to swap the meter out anyway as the one in there now is 20 years old and I don't trust it.

Not to get sidetracked too far but I really think that electric meters should be calibrated on some frequency like every 5 years or so. I can tell you that we cal all the metering equipment we us in the plant (where we make electricity) on a regular basis. I have noticed that most times when doing the cals that they will if out of spec be found to be out of spec on the high side. In other words they are displaying more current, voltage, watts, or VARs than is actually passing through the point of measurement in the circuit.

Now I have never had the chance to cal or learn about residential watt-hour meters but if they also tend to out of spec high then everyone is paying for more kilowatts than they are consuming and next months reading is not going to average it out cause they're taking that reading with the same out of cal meter.

Does any ones electric utility change meters out on a regular basis, not just because they are upgrading or going to digital metering as many are in the process of doing now. Guess you would have had to been planted in one spot for a number of years to have encountered this, or maybe they change it for each new owner. I know here in NJ meters do not get changed out with any frequency. Not water, electric, or gas. But I think there should be a requirement to do so.

See, I told you I wouldn't get too far off the original topic.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

our power company changes out the meters about ever 5 years, and to my understanding they are checked for accuracy in some way.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                X