6 wires for 110v bench grinder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 wires for 110v bench grinder?

Hi all, got a old 10" bench grinder that was never used but is probably 30 yrs old or more. It's a TOOL LINE by DYNA Corp. and it has 2 groups of 3 wires coming out the base. 3 from the motor and 3 from the start/stop buttons. All are black but the motor wires are marked A1,A2, and F. all seem to ground when I put a multimeter on them. I'm guessing they all went to a breaker box behind the grinder. Any ideas on the safest way to wire it up. I'm not smart enough to figure it out but I'm smart enough to ask for help.
    Oh, cool site! Glad I found it. (113yr old home)

there should be a wiring diagram somewhere on the motor, probably on a plate, possibly on a paper inside the box where the wires are.

Comment

nope

looked when I was trying to wire it

Comment

try putting your tester leads on a1 and a2 and have someone turn the grinding wheels by hand maybe that should get you a clue which go to the motor windings. hopefully you can get a change in your readings to tell you what your hot and neutral should be. Other than that I'd really like to see this motor myself.

It's a pity papadan isn't around anymore he knows motors better than I do.

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu
        see if these works now
        Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 07-04-2006, 10:28 AM.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Re: 6 wires for 110v bench grinder?

I persolally know that 6 110v bench grinder working nice
          bench grinder

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
            Hi all, got a old 10" bench grinder that was never used but is probably 30 yrs old or more. It's a TOOL LINE by DYNA Corp. and it has 2 groups of 3 wires coming out the base. 3 from the motor and 3 from the start/stop buttons. All are black but the motor wires are marked A1,A2, and F. all seem to ground when I put a multimeter on them. I'm guessing they all went to a breaker box behind the grinder. Any ideas on the safest way to wire it up. I'm not smart enough to figure it out but I'm smart enough to ask for help.
            Oh, cool site! Glad I found it. (113yr old home)
            There is no way anyone can help you with the limited information you have provided. The age is a factor and the wire numbers you mention are not NEMA standard numbers for an AC motor.
            I suggest you take photos of the motor nameplate (legible photos), the motor itself, the wires coming from the motor (numbers visible) and the operator station (push buttons) with the wires visible and legible. Then visit Electrical - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum.
            Here, there are several professionals helping DIY'ers with problems like yours.

I am certain they will not be much help giving the limited information available, but your pictures could prove me wrong.
            A local motor repair shop is your best bet if you want to fix or connect the motor. They can identify each wire and connect them correctly. I would suggest you buy a new grinder. You are not even certain the motor is any good, right? A new one will cost less than paying someone to figure this out for you.

Try the steps I posted and good luck.
            Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
              ... all seem to ground when I put a multimeter on them.
              You mean you have continuity from the motor windings to ground (the metal motor housing) with all wires undone?
              That's not a good sign. Hope you don't have a damp floor.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Sonofabitch.
                Just realized I have replied to a five year old question.
                Never mind.
                Last edited by Doctordeere; 07-08-2011, 09:06 PM.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
                  Sonofabitch.
                  Just realized I have replied to a five year old question.
                  Never mind.
                  Same here. I did not notice.
                  Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                  X