Simple wiring question, hopefully!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple wiring question, hopefully!!!

I do a little remodeling on the side and I have a question for you electricians. I have seen some wiring like this in past but not enough to know exactly how it works. I have a switch that runs a bathroom light fixture and I would like to jump a receptacle off of the switch for the bathroom. However, there is only one wire (12/2) in the box. The white wire has been coded as a black. Normally, I see black wires in the switch and the whites twisted together with a nut and stuffed back into the box. If I run a receptacle off of this I only get nominal power. Is there a way to tap off of this switch to get a full 110v or do I need to go to the light fixture? I am not very well versed in wiring so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

the quick answer is, you need to go to the light fixture.

basically all that you have now in the switch box, is a hot and a hot switch leg. that's why it's taped black. you are using the lite bulb as a resistor and that's why it's not full voltage.

since it's in romex, you'll have to be a little creative to get a set of wires to the box. hot, neut, and ground.

i guess since it's in a bathroom, it's fair game for the plumbers to answer

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

is there an attic above this bathroom if so this is an easy fix what about a basement where is the panel ???

Comment

Working...
      X