Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody done any alternative energy work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody done any alternative energy work?

I have been casually looking in to alternative energy as a back up system to run a few things, like lights computer modem nothing really to big. Now looking around I can find lots of 110-120v 60hz inverters but no 240v 60hz inverters. Just wondering if anyone has seen such a thing?

On some of the higher quality units they can be stacked or tied together, and they work in unison to make 240,

I understand they on some units you can even tie them to do three phase,

depending on the load and the inverter one could consider a buck transformer.

http://www.xantrex.com/
    240 volt, unit.
    http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/135/p/1/pt/25/product.asp
    Last edited by BHD; 07-31-2006, 08:10 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well first off "nothing really too big" and 240V don't really go together when you are talking about electrical equipment do they? Around the average home what might you have that is 240V? A well pump, electric heat, range/oven/or cooktop, hot tub Except for the well pump you could get by w/o most of these for the short term. The toughest would be no water if you depend on a well.

Are you looking to create a emergency alternate power source or would this be some other application?

Why not build this;

A solar panel which charges a battery bank that runs an electrolysis unit which produces H2 and O2. You then burn the H2 and O2 to create steam which powers a small, low pressure steam turbine to generate electricity and also charge the batteries. The waste steam and condensate could be used to heat the house and domestic hot water through a heat exchanger. Excess H2 and O2 could be stored in tanks using a gas compressor powered by the batteries. The solar panels would provide enough power to operate the electrolysis unit from a cold start and keep the batteries topped off. All your house lighting would be powered from the battery bank through inverters.

Or you could go with Edison's idea and use DC for your lighting. Westinghouse and Tesla put their money on AC and won out over Edison and that's one reason why you have AC instead of DC in your home today Sam Insull is the other reason.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
        Well first off "nothing really too big" and 240V don't really go together when you are talking about electrical equipment do they? Around the average home what might you have that is 240V? A well pump, electric heat, range/oven/or cooktop, hot tub Except for the well pump you could get by w/o most of these for the short term. The toughest would be no water if you depend on a well.

Are you looking to create a emergency alternate power source or would this be some other application?

Why not build this;

A solar panel which charges a battery bank that runs an electrolysis unit which produces H2 and O2. You then burn the H2 and O2 to create steam which powers a small, low pressure steam turbine to generate electricity and also charge the batteries. The waste steam and condensate could be used to heat the house and domestic hot water through a heat exchanger. Excess H2 and O2 could be stored in tanks using a gas compressor powered by the batteries. The solar panels would provide enough power to operate the electrolysis unit from a cold start and keep the batteries topped off. All your house lighting would be powered from the battery bank through inverters.

Or you could go with Edison's idea and use DC for your lighting. Westinghouse and Tesla put their money on AC and won out over Edison and that's one reason why you have AC instead of DC in your home today Sam Insull is the other reason.

When I was looking around for inverters I noticed everything was 110-120 volts and no 240volt inverters. It got me thinking if there was such a thing

Comment

Well yes there are many companies who make 220V inverters. APC is one. SSC (Solid State Controls) is another. Exide and many more, especially as part of a computer server farm or datacenter backup scheme.

You can look through and select some of APC's equipment here.

They have everything from a desktop UPS for your PC to complete solutions for large telecom/VOIP networks, server farms, etc.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by ldisplay
            I have been casually looking in to alternative energy as a back up system to run a few things, like lights computer modem nothing really to big.
            I'll bet you've found that it's more than a casual project, by now.

There are many obstacles to overcome, with this.

Price, for one.

Safety, for two: you cannot set up the system to accidentally energize the utility lines, for example.

Maintenance, also. Maintaining batteries comes with the territory.

I'd go along with Bob D.'s suggestion, and just get some battery-backup Uninterruptible Power Supplies for some of your most cherished equipment.

Comment

Working...
            X