Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running new circuits

Hi,

I am new to the forum and have a question. I live in a two story house which is stucco and the breaker box is attached outside.

My question is: I need top run two dedicated circuits to the upstairs bathroom for a whirlpool I'm installing. What is the best way to fish the wires to this area. Do I have to remove sheetrock in my living room to get access to the back of the breaker box or is there an easier way.

Thanks....Robert

You will need access to the backside of the panel. You will need access to the top plates so you can drill through them to run the cable. Looks like you will be tearing out and replacing sheetrock. It's pretty easy, at least for a pro.

Comment

robert, i would look into some exisiting conduits and see if there is a way to re-pull 3 extra wires along with the exisiting wires. (2 hots and a neutrual). if the house has romex, you're out of luck.

it might be easier to run the new wires, than to repull to the main.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by robertp777
        Hi,

I am new to the forum and have a question. I live in a two story house which is stucco and the breaker box is attached outside.

My question is: I need top run two dedicated circuits to the upstairs bathroom for a whirlpool I'm installing. What is the best way to fish the wires to this area. Do I have to remove Sheetrock in my living room to get access to the back of the breaker box or is there an easier way.

Thanks....Robert
        Don't you have another panel inside your home? If yes then you can cut the wall open very carefully. Then you don't have the walls torn up where the wife has to look at it. You'll also want to find out exactly what is below your bathroom. if you are also going to cut the floor open you can fish your wire near your water pipes.

How much power does this Whirlpool need... it should say something in watts and amps or, watts and volts.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Would a whirlpool that requires 2 separate circuits be large enough to create point load issues on the second story of a house? You may end up having a bath in your basement

Comment

come on all u commercial guys think its probably a whirlpool with a heater which just takes two 20 amp gfi circuits now back to the question i am assuming that your whirlpool is on an outside wall and there is an attic why dont u run u two 12-2 circuits through the attic over to an eve directly above your outdoor panel and if its on a side of your house nobody can see then just pipe down the wall and run them into your outdoor panel sure beats the heck outta cutting sheetrock and its way cheaper if u dont mind seeing a little pipe on the outside

Comment

Some folks would rather have a sheetrock repair than conduit on the outside of the house.

On new construction, it's almost a given that if holes need to be made, make them, as opposed to running conduit on the outside. But in that circumstance, there's always a drywaller handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Sparky
                Some folks would rather have a sheetrock repair than conduit on the outside of the house.

On new construction, it's almost a given that if holes need to be made, make them, as opposed to running conduit on the outside. But in that circumstance, there's always a drywaller handy.
                but i dont think this is new construction we can go all day on what if

Comment

No, but the fella chopping holes might not like the looks of pipe on the house, either.

New construction or a five year old house, the only determining factor on what's better remains the same: the preference of the customer.

Comment

thats true it is whatever the customer likes but doing that could create an even bigger remodel job and much more then he wanted to get into just trying for the easiest this would not look bad especially if there is alredy an existing outside panel even more so if its an overhead service

Comment

Originally posted by sparkync1
                      ...this would not look bad especially if there is alredy an existing outside panel even more so if its an overhead service
                      IMO, I agree.

Comment

Pardon my ignorant layman's question, but do homes actually exist with breaker panels on the OUTSIDE of the house? What part of the country is that, and is that common there? Why would they even do that?

Comment

Yes, outside panels are not teribly uncommon. Keep in mind, you will have a meter socket outdoors and, if the panel is not directly inside the meter socket, you will have a main breaker (shut off) outdoors. Building an outside panel box isn't rocket science, all the manufactures do it just fine.

WHY OUTDOORS? I switched from indoors to outdoors about 12-15 years ago. I'd get a call back to install another circuit or just reset a tripped breaker and I couldn't get to the panel. Put that panel in the garage and people will stack crap so deep in front of it you'll spend an hour or two digging it out. Sometimes they construct shelving over the panel, so you must first empty then remove the shelves. It just wasn't worth the bother.

The manufacturers all make a combination meter socket/breaker panel. Mount it outside and the breakers are all accessible.

A couple years back square D did a recall of the previous years afci breakers. I was able to swap out all the breakers without scheduling the homeowner to be home and let me in. Made my job much easier and quicker.

Comment

Working...
                          X