X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main panel box

Anyone know as to why a main panel box inside hums? Drives me crazy thinking something is wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

i would check for loose or bad breakers, arcing and screw connections.

an easy way to isolate would be to shut off 1 breaker at a time to eliminate the hum. this should be the problem ones. also check the buss bar for burns or arcing.

don't work on the panel live, except for testing the breakers.

if you're not skilled or comfortable with working on electricty, hire a pro.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have seen some boxes with the door bell transformer mounted to the outside that could cause a humm, in any case a breaker box should not humm and you should have it looked at ASAP. Rick's method will get you to the problem quickly

Comment

Breakers hum under load. Some of the new AFCI's hum without a load.

In either case, it's generally because they've forgotten the words.

Anyway, you may replace the breaker(s) that are humming if they make you uncomfortable, but provided the breakers are in good shape and the busbars don't show signs of overheating as mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do begin shutting off breakers, try to take note of any that turn off and on very easily. It should take a decent amount of pressure to operate a breaker. One that swings in the breeze is due for replacement.

Be safe. Shut the panel off from the service disconnect for the house before removing the panel cover.

How old is the panel, any idea?

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help, I will do some trouble shooting to see if i can fix it. And yes the door bell transformer is mounted to the top of the panel., I'm no electrian, but whoever did this box musta been in an awfull rush,lol. And i think thats the doorbell transformer i may be wrong. Think this one is bad, should see the one in the garage,lol. Hope the pics turn out. Thanks once again.
          Attached Files

Comment

A few concerns with the panel...

Is there a tie point for grounds in that panel? looks like some are wound together but it does not appear that they are all bonded to ground

The 6 AWG that goes to the garage panel (my guess) is that grounded to the screw that is used to hold the breaker panel to the case box or is it just floating up the right side, either way not a good ground

I see the 2 hots coming in from the main breaker side but I don't see the neutral (white) connected to the neutral bus

Hard to tell but the ground wire (bare) beside the power feed conduit looks undersized unless this is a 60 amp panel

You say the garage panel is worse than this

May be a good time to update both panels to current code

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks
              A few concerns with the panel...

Is there a tie point for grounds in that panel? looks like some are wound together but it does not appear that they are all bonded to ground

The 6 AWG that goes to the garage panel (my guess) is that grounded to the screw that is used to hold the breaker panel to the case box or is it just floating up the right side, either way not a good ground

I see the 2 hots coming in from the main breaker side but I don't see the neutral (white) connected to the neutral bus

Hard to tell but the ground wire (bare) beside the power feed conduit looks undersized unless this is a 60 amp panel

You say the garage panel is worse than this

May be a good time to update both panels to current code

Damn your good,lol. And yup the garage is worse. Was planning on having that redone with new panel. And yes it is grounded to the anchor for the main panel. Think i might as well get this one done as well. Thanks for the help wbrooks. Heck the rest of the house is redone new now, may as well do the main panels as well,lol.

Comment

Working...
              X