No announcement yet.

What to do about a box fill violation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about a box fill violation?

I am rewiring my small 2 bedroom Victorian that was built in 1885 and has knob-and-tube with few recepticals per room - some surface mounted. I had the service upgraded to 125 amps and I installed a Homeline 30-40 panel. I did not think about receptical box fill until now -- after installing 10 metal boxes that I now realize are not code compliant for two #12 gauge nm cables and a duplex outlet. They are Raco metal boxes 3x2x2 1/2 inches deep -- they have 12.5 cubic inches. Realizing my error, I have now switched to the 3x2x3.5 inches deep metal boxes for the rest of the house. My question is -- Should I go back and change out those 10 boxes? I was careful to tuck the wires in neatly and I did not use pigtails (except for grounds). What would you do in this situation?
    Thanks,
    ps: No-- I did not get a permit

Honestly, that's something an inspector would probably never notice.
    If it were me I would change them.
    A job done right the second time is better than a job done wrong the first time.
    That's just my opinion I'm sure others will disagree.

Just curious
    What made you go with only 125A.

Comment

The house had a previous service upgrade in 1956 to 70amps with a small, 4 space Federal Pacific panel with stab-loc circuit breakers. I had 2 different electricians give estimates for the upgrade and both of them recommended 125amps. I have gas for the water heater, stove, and furnace -- but an electric clothes dryer.
      They installed an exterior surface mount Combination Service Entrance Device 16 space 24 circuits. I was going to use that for my circuits but then decided it might get messy because the space inside the panel is tight-- so I put a big sub-panel inside the basement connected by #2-3 romex going into the back of the CSED.
      I think I will go back and change out those undersize receptical boxes because I really wanted to do this project up to code.
      Thanks for your views

Comment

I have heard many journeymen electricians laugh when the topic of box fill came up, but I think you are on the right track. I wish more people that decide to their own wiring would have your attitude.
        Good luck and enjoy the peace of mind you'll get from knowing that the job was done right.

Mike
        Last edited by Mike Sparks; 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X