Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by franklin pug
    Okay just got some info from the elecrical inspector

PVC is against code to run indoors - I have to run steel conduit. I think PVC releases toxic gases if it melts during a fire.
    That must be a Canada thing - PVC is used by plumbers extensively in the homes around here, and I don't believe it gasses any more or less than NM cable would in a fire. PVC is used by electricians when running through a slab and stubbing up for islands in kitchens of slab on grade houses.

Originally posted by franklin pug
    NMC can't be run in any conduit if it has a sheath.
    It can't be run in conduit without a sheath, as the conductors are not marked appropriately for conduit use. The markings are on the sheath of the cable.

334.15 of the NEC actually requires romex to be installed in conduit if exposed to physical damage.

I would buy the right length of 12/3 romex with ground, fish it in the walls, and call it a day. Keep it simple.

Comment

The inspector told me to run individual #12 wires - which is what I did. NMC can get hot i guess. I connected the panel to a junction box with regular 12/2 NMC (though framing members). From the junction box I ran three individual #12 insulated wires (black, white, green) through EMT conduit to a GFCI receptacle, which in turn fed another.

Comment

Re: running NM cable in conduit

I cannot speak for Canada, as I am not familar with the code up north.

In the states, there are a couple of items of note.
        In the 2002 NEC, during the code cycle change, there was an issue (not done on purpose) which restricted the installation of some cables inside of raceways. that has been resolved in the 2005 NEC. In the raceway Articles, there is a section, xxx.22 that will tell one whether or not a cable type is permitted to be installed in a raceway. In most instances, a cable is permitted installed in raceways.
        As for PVC permitted indoors, there are also a couple of issues.
        1. Check for local more restrictive codes.
        2. Most types of PVC conduits are permitted indoors (HDPE is not one of the permitted PVC types permitted indoors).

If an inspector is asking for something that is not in the NEC, ask him if this is a local law and then ask for the section number so you can educate yourself. Then you will also find out if the inspector is up to snuff.
        Instructor Inspector

Comment

pug you inspector is talking bullshit. ther is no place in the national plumbing building or electrical codes where it says pvc cant be used indoors. pvc is required on most commercial jobs due to its fire rating. you need to call again. i use pvc for wiring, plumbing, and condinsate lines.
          how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Thsnks for the heads up proplumb, I'll call again if I need to run anymore conduit.

Comment

I ran a 12-2 UF, 20 amp line to my shed. I used a short piece of EMT to protect the UF where it ran into the ground at the house and shed. Have I caused an issue with overheating in this circuit?

Comment

No, that's a common practice with UF going into a trench. Just hope that you used a plastic bushing at the end of the 90 as it enters the trench.
                Jim Don

Comment

Hello,
                  I have been reading the direction of this post and it needs to be made clear.

1) Yes, NM Cable can be installed in RNC if it is for protection and the claim could be used in most all cases for protection. Nothing in the NEC prevents NM Cable in RNC and this is specific in 352.22 and since 334 does not prevent it in RNC it is allowed.

Now....it boils down to can NM Cable be in conduit for just no reason.....no because the only allowance for not securing it at a box is unless for physical damage......so prove it is for physical damage and you dont need to secure it at either end.

2) While it is the allowed in the premise of (1) above....understand you could have issues with derating and conduit fill ahead of you.

Now.....if you are speaking of running it from a cabinet, cutout boxes, and meter socket enclosures to a junction box.....say in your garage....you will have to meet the requirements of 312.5(C) Ex. and it must be more than 18" but less than 10'..........and if over 24" dont forget ampacity adjustment factord of 310.15(B)(2)(a).

Comment

Working...
                  X