running NM cable in conduit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running NM cable in conduit

I have to wire two 20A circuits in my garage and don't want to tear the walls apart. I was planning on running 3/4" conduit along the outside of the walls (on the inside of the garage of course) and connecting my receptacles with appropriate conduit boxes. I plan on running two 12/2 NM cables inside the 3/4" PVC conduit.

The line in is from my basements panel, which is connected to my garage.

Sound okay?

You might consider bringing 12/3 in, using the black for 1 20 amp circuit and the red for the second circuit. The white would be a shared common. Be sure to ground all switches and receptacles when using plastic conduit.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I would rather run inflexible conduit, as I can easily snag power from the box in the basement and seal the conduit junction box. Also, I can run 2 circuits through the same peice of conduit.

I don't want to get fancy and use 12/3 to run two circuits. I am happy to run 2 lines through the same conduit and then have them split at a "T" and run to their respective GFCI receptacles. That way they terminate independently and simply at the panel.

Does anyone know the fill limit for 3/4" conduit?

Comment

ATG you are kidding right?
        Most of our igloos actually have 120/240 V 60 HZ just like you guys.
        It takes a dog load of juice to keep them igloos from meltin between March and December
        You may be surprised where a good deal of the power used by your northern states comes from - Hint - Not the USA.

Sorry FP don't know the limits for conduit

Comment

as far as i know, romex is not allowed to be pulled into conduit. it creats a heat issue. it would be much better to pull 12 gauge, thhn wire. 2 hots, a nutreal and a ground. this will give you 2 - 20 amp circuits. be sure to pull the 2 hots from the 2 opposite sides of the panel. if not the nutreal will be overloaded up to 40 amps. with the proper 2 hots, opposite (legs) the nutreal could actuall pull 0 amps with both hots drawing 20 amps each

personally i would pull #8 and install a sub panel. this would give 40 amps a side and the posibility of 240 volts for future use. it will fit into 3/4'' pvc with 4-#8, 2 hots, nutreal, ground.

see what the sparkies say about this

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
            as far as i know, romex is not allowed to be pulled into conduit. it creats a heat issue.
            personally i would pull #8 and install a sub panel. this would give 40 amps a side and the posibility of 240 volts for future use. it will fit into 3/4'' pvc with 4-#8, 2 hots, nutreal, ground.

see what the sparkies say about this

rick.
            This begs an interesting question that I'm sure will need a sparkie reply. I have an exterior breaker box, I need two 20A circuits to the garage, at the other end of the house no less. I will have to run the wire up the outside of the house (conduit) and across the attic (Romex) I'd like to do this w/o a junction box, but it appears that by code, I may be a bit screwed. Advise on how to do. The hole coming through the top plate in the attic is quite full, so I'm not sure going through the drywall from the inside is an option. Would it be code to transfer from 4-#6 THHN(red, black, white, green) in the conduit to a #6-3 w/g to run across the attic in a junction box right inside the gable end wall? I'm proposing a 50A breaker to feed the box, and the run is across a 45' attic, 8 up and 8 down on each end for a total run of 61 feet.
            I figure I'll go with the heavy wire for the better to have it and not need it than need it and not have(redo) it.
            Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

thats a bummer - I was hoping to install the conduit.

Is it okay to run BX instead of conduit then, and attach it directly to the drywall (with clamps into studs of course).

If this is okay, what type of boxes do I use for the wall?

Lastly, am I required to connect the incoming feed (through a 2x6 from the basement panel) to a junction box before running the circuit?

Comment

Pug, when I used to help wire hot tubs we used to use NM cable. At the time it was cheaper for whatever reason than buying just #12 cable. We would simply remove the outer sheath (shell?) using a simple tool you can by at any box store that pinches around the Romex and you pull it to split the sheath open. It can be bought for about $2 US. Then we would pull wire out and run the wire through the conduit. I don't know about all places, but it is against code to pull Romex through conduit with the outer sheath on in AZ and MT.
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

So i could simply rip the sheath off of 12/2 NM, fish the individual conducters through and be okay?

How would I keep track if i was running two separate circuits through the same conduit?

Comment

I wonder, is the insulation on the individual conductors you rip out of NM cable OK to use without the outer jacket?

I know that inside a box it is, but for longer runs through conduit I wonder.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob, I do not know the answer to your question and a valid point. The gentleman I worked with in AZ doing this work was a master electrician and I was simply a "young peon" earning some extra cash doing some of the less envious manual labor in the projects and helping out where I could while in college. I have also seen other electricians do it.

But I do admit I am in no way an expert electrician and only did as told from someone who was and took it to be correct. I suppose one of the sparkies on here could answer that question better. Either way, I have not looked in a while and it may be cheaper to buy individual wires of the proper gauge now. I just bought 250 ft of 12/2 Romex a couple of weeks ago for a finishing a couple of new rooms in my basement and it was $85!
                      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

As Rick suggested, pull 4 wires - red, black, white and green. Red, white and green are one circuit and black, white and green are the other circuit. The white(neutral) and green(ground) are common to both circuits.
                        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Okay just got some info from the elecrical inspector

PVC is against code to run indoors - I have to run steel conduit. I think PVC releases toxic gases if it melts during a fire.

NMC can't be run in any conduit if it has a sheath. I need to buy #12 wire individually and use an insulated ground in my connections.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug
                            I would rather run inflexible conduit, as I can easily snag power from the box in the basement and seal the conduit junction box. Also, I can run 2 circuits through the same peice of conduit.

I don't want to get fancy and use 12/3 to run two circuits. I am happy to run 2 lines through the same conduit and then have them split at a "T" and run to their respective GFCI receptacles. That way they terminate independently and simply at the panel.

Does anyone know the fill limit for 3/4" conduit?
                            If you have 6 12 awg thhn wires you are fine.
                            In the code book it says you can have a max of 16 12 awg thhn in 3/4" EMT. I'd like to see how easy those pull. Good luck with running the conduit along the walls to each outlet box.

As for the outer seath on 12/2 It's there to protect the wires but conduit will do a much better.
                            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

here in nc we cannot pull "romex" through any conduit ..emt, pvc or any type of flex if it is terminated on both ends in some basements the inspectors are making us put up a board on a block wall like they did years ago and put each romex into the panel with a romex connector not using the 2 inch pvc like we used to do if this is your case and your flexible coundut will not be terminated at the panel then you can do it or at least you can here in nc have you considered wire mold it might be a little bit more attractive than any of those other options you are considering ??

Comment

Working...
                              X