flame master

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flame master

i got a call today to price out a new furnace.turns out to be a flame master 200,000 btu make up air furnace [strictly for hallway heat] in a four storey apt building. my question for those with first hand knowledge on these beasts,,,is it easier to change out the heat exchangers or replace the whole unit.? the price of the new furnace is quite alot more than the exchangers so i,m wondering about the time involved to do the exchangers.

replacing exchangers is still just a patch job for an old unit. the furnace is well used by this point and its time to be realistic. save yourself the future service calls and high gas bill and put an efficient unit in. a good tech will take about half a day to get the repair done, the same time it would take to install a new unit good luck
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Proplumb has the idea

Forget the cost of the replacement heat exchanger and think about the running cost. Fuel is what will really eat up the $$$ anymore. A new high efficency furnace (the whole thing) will pay for itself over several years with much lower fuel costs.

Comment

I was told that a high-efficiency furnace will only last half to two thirds as long as a similar quality mid-efficiency furnace and that this fact may well negate the mild savings in fuel costs over time.

Is there any truth to this?

Comment

WW

There is some truth to it. Murphy's law comes in to play. The real issue is that anymore fuel cost are way up and only going higher. Try to think of it this way. A family buys to brand new cars. Car 1 costs $20,000 and gets an average of 20 miles / gallon. Car 2 costs $25,000 and gets about 25 MPG on average. It won't take long before car 2 pays off the difference in cost of $5,000 in fuel savings and with car 2 maybe being better built saves some on repairs as well. Even if the new high efficency furnace only lasts for 15 years (and it better last longer or you have every reason to be upset) if would way more than pay for itself in fuel savings alone. I hope the serious HVAC contractors come here and post. I did something fun about a year ago when my older refrigerator was about to give up. I took current draw measurements of it and then of my nice new one. The new one only draws about 1/2 the current and over a day it runs less. Figuring the cost for electricity, it was easy to see that if I keep it 10 years it will more than totally pay for itself. Energy today costs big $$$. We need to conserve when we can.

Just me 1 cent worth

Comment

Re: flame master

Originally posted by oldtrout View Post
            i got a call today to price out a new furnace.turns out to be a flame master 200,000 btu make up air furnace [strictly for hallway heat] in a four storey apt building. my question for those with first hand knowledge on these beasts,,,is it easier to change out the heat exchangers or replace the whole unit.? the price of the new furnace is quite alot more than the exchangers so i,m wondering about the time involved to do the exchangers.

I have the same makeup air furnace 200,000 but to replace this unit is going to cost me 10000 according to my heating guy because everything needs to be brought up to code with dampers and rerouting gas lines. I don't use the furnace very much so I would sooner replace the heat exchanger. Where can I order an exchanger.

Thanks Don

Comment

Working...
            X