Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient Thermostat-Colemane external Heat Pump with Internal Furnace

Live in Canada.

Weather in the winter can easily go below 20 deg Cel.

My external Heatpump has an ambient thermostat designed to stop the heat pump at extreme cold temp which will cause the AUX light on my thermostat to kick in and have only the internal furnace run.

The external ambient thermosat is set to 10 deg F, which is -12.2 Cel.

Sometimes, even at -9 deg Cel, I see the heatpump not running at all and the AUX light is on , meaning only the furnace is running.

Is my external ambient thermostat defective?

Or maybe, the thermostat is factoring in windshield, which means that the -9 C with the windshield can really be -20

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Avellino

Re: Ambient Thermostat-Colemane external Heat Pump with Internal Furnace

Wind chill has no effect on inanimate objects. Wind chill is a modifier to the actual temperature based on how fast heat is lost from exposed skin. Your external thermostat may need to be re calibrated (or replaced) or perhaps you are reading the external temp from a different spot than your heat pump is. For example if the thermometer that you are using to check the outside temperature is in the sun and your heat pump thermostat is shaded then there can be a large difference in the temperature

Comment

You may be on to something.

I place a thermometer right ontop of the heatpump, and sure enough, it's easily below 10 deg Cel (The themo doesn't go passed -10), which makes me bel that the ambient thermostat connected to the pump is fine, because the second I calibrate it (drop a degree or two), the heat pump immed kicks off. So if 1 pump is exposed to direct sunlight and 1 isn't, chances are, even if the external ambient thermo's are calibrated at the same temp, for instance -12 Cel, one pump may actually work, while the other won't.

Thanks Again

Comment

I think your Ambient Thermostat-Colemane external Heat Pump with Internal Furnace may have a slight adjustment on temperature measuring system....

Comment

Working...
        X