X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diffrent rooms diffrent temperature

The way I see it women usually like it warmer while the men like it cooler.

now is it possible to have each room a diffrent temperature?
    I was thinking about infloor heating but how efficent is this compared to normal forced air?

Re: diffrent rooms diffrent temperature

You can do it and how depends on the type of heat you have or soon will have. Most houses never are the same temp in all rooms. Please tell more about your heating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      You can do it and how depends on the type of heat you have or soon will have. Most houses never are the same temp in all rooms. Please tell more about your heating system.
      I don't have it yet, would like to if possible have room's with diffrent temperature (like bathroom,basement).

the main problem at the moment is our basement it to cold in the winter due to the thermostat on the main floor.

Comment

when i lived in maryland i had a 3 story home(2 storys 1 full basement) and i keep the thrmeostat in the stair well going to the basement keep in mind that heat rises and this may not be ideal for you
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by ldisplay View Post
          Now is it possible to have each room a diffrent temperature?
          I was thinking about infloor heating but how efficent is this compared to normal forced air?
          Forced air heating blows! Radiant infloor heating is far superior. With radiant heating you will have more control and a better "quality of heat",especially in inslab intallation (thermal mass). Radiant heat is also more efficient , however the initial installtion cost is higher.

Also, location of the thermostat in a forced air system is important. It should be located in a central location on an inside wall on the main floor. In a two storey house the 2nd floor will typically be a little to warm compared to the main and the basement will be cool. In older homes with forced air adding more return air from the basment will help bring the basement temperature up.
          Last edited by Hondahead; 01-23-2007, 09:11 PM.
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I live in a two story house that has gas fired forced air heat. The supply registers have a damper in them so you can adjust the air flow. If a room is too warm, just close the damper some. As for heating the basement, there are several ways to add more heat. Being that my house was already built, I ended up cutting 2 holes in the supply duct and put in registers. I also ended up installing an electric wall mounted (surface) heater in the rec room as a booster. Radiant heat is nice, but be careful if you have wood floors. If they get too hot, or if you use a hot water system and have a leak, you'll end up having to replace flooring. I kind of like a forced air system as long as you have both supply and returns for every room and upper and lower (near floor and near ceiling) in every main room. This way you can have nice central AC for the summer. In the winter you block off the upper air flow and in the summer you block off the lower and open up the upper. Remember that heat rises. Another thing some people do is to use zone thremostats and setup either more than one air handler or they use motorized dampers. With hot water heat, you can control the water flow to each room. You'll more than likely need to talk to your HVAC contractor and hope they have an engineer that can work out a system that you'll like having. No matter what you do end up with, changes can be made to it later on. They may not come easy or cheap but they can be made if really necessary. When it comes to bathrooms, I like a small fan forced electric wall heater and be sure to place it well away from the bathtub or shower stall. The idea of it is to be a booster when needed, but not the main heat source.

Comment

Is radiant floor heating really more efficient? I get that it's nicer and all... but isn't it still an electric system? Isn't that more expensive to run than a natural gas powered system?

Comment

You can have hot water radiant heat and heat the water with coal, electricity, natural gas, LP gas, oil, solar energy, wood, etc. I personally like a forced air system, but only if it's well designed and the blower speed isn't too high so as to cause nasty drafts. By moving air, you can heat up a room faster and you don't have as many hot and cold spot issues. Each type of heating system has it's good and bad points. A good engineering and installation team can pretty much figure how to make them work pretty well. In my area, I like that the same air handler(s) and duct work can be also used for air conditioning in the summer. One thing to be careful of with heating in the floor is that bare feet = YEEEEEEOOOOOOUCH THAT'S HOT if you over do it. You need to have all of the floor area warm, but not hot for it to really work.

Comment

Working...
                X