X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anticipator adjustment

My wife had an energy audit done while I was away. The woman that did the audit said that we needed to adjust the thermostat anticipator because my furnace is short cycling. I looked up anticipator adjustment on the web, and it seemed simple enough... except that I can't find an anticipator on my thermostat. I have the most basic thermostat that came with the furnace, it's a Honeywell T8400. I took the thermostat off the base, and even removed the screws and pulled out the PCB.. no anticiptor. So... is this a feature that this thermostat just dosn't have or what? Thanks in advance!

Dan O

Re: Anticipator adjustment

I am a home owner, not an HVAC pro. We moved into this new house a little over a year ago and have a basic Honeywell thermostat. The HVAC installer had to call Honeywell to get the key code sequence to properly set it up for our unit (we have a dual electric-heat-pump-with-LP gas that will get over to gas heat when the temp goes real cold). It was a combination of pushing the right up and down temp key with the fan and system keys. That gave a code number that could be scrolled thru to get the right one for the type of unit. They would not give him the codes until he gave them his business name, license number, etc.
    You'll probably have to get a pro in to reset it or get a copy of the installation paperwork that comes with the thermostat. The guy that installed the thermostat did not leave any of the paperwork.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

This should do it

Comment

wbrooks: You da man!!

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Otter

About how many times does your furnace cycle per hour on average? It may not really be short cycling? If it's a gas or oil fired furnace when the burner fires up, about how long does it stay on? This is when no one has changed the thermostat settings in the past several hours and it's running on its own.

Comment

To save your self the problem of setting up and old Tstat replace it with a simple straight forward digital Tstat with battery back up. There are a few variations of Digital Tstat and you should be able to find a close match to what you have now. There are now Digitals that are simple up and down just like the old Tstat all the way to lets spend a 1/2 nite sitting and reading these instructions in hopes I can understand how to program this thing digital tstats. As a comsumer you should not be confused or intimedated by a Tstat. Remember simplicity works. Also digital Tstats are much more accurate then the old mercury Tstats with less chance of wide temperature swings between cycles .

Comment

Working...
            X