X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high efficient furnaces

through logging in on this forum i noticed the totlal missconception of allot of usesrs about high efficient furnaces and the longevity of them. the idea that the furnace will last a shorter time than the older units is such bull im shoked. lets review even just a few parts off the top of my head
    -motors, all new motors are all direct drive ecm motors, no more belts to break, bearings to change, to more annual lubrication required. how many of use out there have paid or fixed our own motors in the older units in our houses. all manufacturers no matter who have the same motor in them. all new motors that are ecm are made by g.e. this is a good test to see if your salesmen knows his stuff. the motors may have different housing or sizes but are all 100% the same!!! no arguments can be made period.
    -exchangers are better made than they ever were even 5 years ago, brands like amana are offering ss exchangers with a lifetime guarentee (although this was common with lennox in the past)
    -ignition is made better now with hot surface ignitors, replacing thermocouples, which we all have replaced time and time again on older units. theses work simmilar to the glow plugs found in deislel truck engines.

this is just touching on a few pionts on why high is the way to go. mid efficient use that same style of ignition and printed circute boards that the highs do so the arguments that a new mid will last longer is hot air. time to stop talking about things we dont know about and give real advice on this site lets move out of the past and not misslead people asking for help.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Re: high efficient furnaces

Even if they didn't last as long or if they needed more service, the fuel savings alone would more than pay the difference. Heck, I bet that the fuel saved over 10 years would pay for the new furnace. Some time back a testing group ran tests of refrigerator-freezers of both the top freezer and side-by-side models of a given cubic foot capacity range. They found that when tested next to 15 year old models that were in good condition that buying a new one would more than pay for it in less than 6 years!!! That was in electricity saved. I can't say about everywhere, but here in the Mid Atlantic part of the USA, fuel cost (natural gas and #2 heating oil) is so darn high anymore than I would install a new furnace if it would save me 15% in fuel. It does pay off over time. As for being better built, I fully agree as long as you get a top quality brand-model. One little hint: Because of new furnaces and boilers having micro processor (tiny computer) controllers, get and install a good inline surge supressor. Check at good electrical supply houses for them.
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM.

Comment

good call on surge protection, also if the house ground is not 100% correct the furnace will do things you never thought possible. a good install is the key

Comment

Very true about grounding. I would recommend that a good electrician be called in to install the inline surge supressor, check grounding and bring it up to latest code requirements and also bring power over to where the new furnace will be installed. In other words, remove and replace anything needed. The electrician's fees won't be near as much as the furnace and protection is a must. It really bugs me how many older homes in my area have very very poor electrical system grounding.

Comment

i have the amana and love it .

and put quite a bit of them in commercial places and have held up very well.
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

i agree about amanas im the regional amana rep for where i live. there all i install except when im doing a zoning system then i use carrier.

Comment

Well wouldn't you know it, I'm in need of a high energy furnace, thanks for the info above I will definitely be going for Amana or Lennox. I do plan on putting in a line surge protector so maybe someone can tell me which brands of surge protector they are familier with. And as far as grounding is concern, I have a ground line running to the ground rod and another line running to my cold water line, so I should be properly grounded. Life time warranty for the heat exchanger is a major plus in my decision, but I,m also going to find a review issue w/consumer report for the least likely to break down, I do believe its the Nov. issue. My last furnace was breaking down for one reason or another ever single winter,( Rheem ) and I'll never buy another Rheem ever again, even if they paid me to put it in my house. So my next furnace with lots of luck will not be one for not breaking down. Now every year my furnace was cleaned and all maint. done on it, so that is,(was) not the cause of my problems. Suggestions are helpful if anyone wants to comment on this, especially the surge protector, whats a good one?
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

When it come to surge supressors for a furnace, I would contact a licensed electrical contractor in your area. There may be some code issues that need to be dealt with. There are such things as "Whole House" models that install in your main load center (breaker panel) and there are others that are made to protect a given device. If code allows it, and you don't want to go for the whole house type (Let the electrician see what you have and make recommendations) you might go with a receptacle with built-in surge supression and have a short power cord on your furnace. Normally furnaces are hard wired in my area. I really can't say what is and isn't allowed in your area. While there are loads of different surge supressors made, I really would recommend contacting local electricians. They should be up on your code requirements and also be able to make recommendations.

Comment

Thanks Woussko, been trying to get a hold of a city electrician, been told surge protectors are installed on the poles for house protection. Whether true or not I'll find out, need the whole house protected, we have a lot of electronics in our house.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

For the electronics in your home, I would take a good look at the Tripplite "Isobar" series. They are plug-in type and should help you there.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/su...m#SelectSeries

Comment

surge protectors are an easey install for the whole house. i just put one in for a customer that was going through furnace boards and appliences weekly due to power spikes. home depot sell the breaker style which is quick and easy to install, as long as you have room for a 2 pole breaker you are set.

Comment

Ok now that the rebate specials are happening, I'm finally going after my high energy furnace, forced air, natural gas. Is the Bryant plus 95i, model #355BAV any good? What are my chances of reaching 95% efficiency with a 2000 sq. ft. house? I'm sure 95% means up to, does this mean, the 95% a little miss leading? I checked out a lot of brands and I'm sort of leaning towards this one, the installer will let me remove the old one and install the new one, then when I'm done he'll come in and hook everything up and make sure it's running fine, plus he'll take the old one away. I get to save a grand by doing this, and they will still make money and I'll get to keep my warranty. If I do everything myself I will lose my warranty, because I don't have a plumbing license, which I'm ok with that.
                        I have installed alot of furnaces in the past (older models), and know how to work on them. However these new 2 stage firing furnace are a little new to me, thats why I'm going with a plumber, and one day I'll take the time to learn more about them. But till then, any response on the new high efficiency furnace would be great, especially this Bryant plus 95i. It seems that all the furnace in that "class" are pretty much the same price, not much to change in the duct work part. I already got the gas disconnected and end cap on, and the electric is also disconnected, capped and taped. I'm ready to disconnect the duct work and pull out the furnace. I've talked with 6 different business, so I'm really not 100% focused on the Bryant brand, I've heard good and bad on this Brand, and likewise with others. Thanks for any response.

Comment

sorry for the delayed responce, bryant ia a creadable brand they are all pretty close now, my best advice though is go with a company that installs bryant as their main company. that way they will know the furnace better than anyone else. the same could be said for any brand and company. look at amana i put them in llot and they have a great warrenty and they are really cheap but last a long time withoout service

Comment

Never shop brand. Shop installer. See a reply of a thread I posted on ground source heat pumps. Give me a Janitrol and a great installer and you'll have have a system run for years. I do hate Janitrol though.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Check with your local power comp. they sometimes will chk your house for free and tell you what surge protection you can get and how much.

Comment

Working...
                              X