flame goes out, Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flame goes out, Help

I have the Rheem Imperial 80 plus gas furnace, my trouble is my burners run for 5 to 7 seconds then goes out. I have replaced the filter, removed the air filter, I have replaced the flame sensor, sucked on the pressure switch hose and can hear it pop and release. The entire furnace is as clean as you can get it. Motor is running fine, wires are all connected, and no damage. Brand new self igniter, do you guys think it could be my pressure switch??? Help, I live in MN. and I'm running 3 space heaters today, I'll be going to a plumbing & heating shop in the morning, 30 miles away. Thanks for any response....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: flame goes out, Help

to test your pressure switch there are 2 ways. if you have a multimeter you can do a continuity test while blowing on the hose. the second way is if you have a 5 amp fuse. turn your power off to the furnace and pull the 2 stake on wire connectors off. next put one connector on one side of the fuse, turn the power back on and wait for the venture motor to turn on, count to two and then put the other connector on to the fuse if it stays lit then its the switch. i have bareley seen worn out switches usualle there is a frost problem on the venting of your furnace.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

I am not fimilar with your model of furnace but I do know that with any fan assist appliance the limits/safegaurds run in sequence. The draft inducer fan is first. The draft inducer is monitored by the pressure switch. If your pressure switch is the problem it is unlikely your furnace would reach the ignition stage. I would test the flame roll out sensor next. The symptom you are describing is typically caused by the flame roll out sensor or flame sensor, most units have two. Does'nt this furnace have an LED trouble shooting system? A multimeter is a must have for trouble shooting these units.
      You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Agreed, I had a vent fill up with snow a few years ago and the fresh air blower would start and stop a few times then post an error, burners never fired.

Comment

Well I think I'll call the experts this morning and have them come take a look at it. There is no snow, or ice in my vents, that was one of the first things I checked out. Never seen it likes this in MN. ever, we don't even have 1/4" of snow on the ground, and my furnace vents out about 2 1/2 ft. off the ground, I do have some ice on the ground but not in the vent. Plumber just called me back and will be here in an hour, so i'll post back what he finds, thanks everyone....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Well the expert has been here for an hour, and he still cannot figure it out, this must be a tough one, or something so easy that he is missing it...

Comment

Ok, everything checked out great, nothing he could find was wrong. Then he said f#!* it and bent the flame sensing rod straight out, farther into the flame. It has been running great ever since, go figure huh. It was a simple fix, and he didn't charge me anything, but I pushed $20.00 at him anyhow and greatly appreciated what he did. Wow that was cheap, some people are just great in nature. Now my house is nice and toasty again........

Comment

That's great news and a great guy to not want some $$$ for coming. It shows that some people are still good hearted.

Comment

Here is an update, 2 days after bending the flame sensor the whole thing started to act up again. So I called the man again and explained what is happening. On the phone he suggested that I should replace my furnace, he believes its time, because my furnace is 21 years old. So I told him to come on over (I'm running space heaters through out the house in the mean time) and take another look at the problem before I go replacing the furnace. He hasn't come around or called, this time I'm sure I'll be paying him if he shows up. If he is a no show today, then I'll call another company and go from there. I did put my old flame sensor back in, there shouldn't be any thing wrong w/it, how ever this attempt failed to stay in the firing stage also, flame runs for 5 or 6 seconds then out it goes. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Comment

Bad news for me today, the contractor finally came and did a complete check out on my furnace, it's a cracked heat exchanger. Now I do have to replace my furnace, so whats the no.1 (95%) high efficiency forced air furnace. Everybody's opinion counts. I do understand that the life expectancy is shorter (maybe), more expensive when it comes to replacement parts. However the fuel savings should alleviate the expense some (15%) and I'll put in a line surge protector, should help with life of furnace. And any thing else you can recommend for the life expectancy would be GREAT!! Thanks everyone for helping...
                    Once again he didn't want any money from me today, found out why, I was helping a family build a house 3 years ago and it turned out to be a relative of his.

Comment

I really can't recommend which furnace to go for, but here are some things you may want to think about.

1. If you have a hot air system, it would be a good time to have the return air ducts really cleaned out.

2. Your flue pipe(s) and chimney may need cleaning. Also, be sure there is some type of a bird and rodent cover so they don't enter and build a nest.

3. You should get a good savings in fuel used. That over time will help pay for installing the new furnace.

4. Do you have central AC? If yes, you may want to think about some upgrading. This doesn't mean your condensing unit outside. I'm thinking about having the best set of coils (do some matching) for the unit installed in your new furnace duct work, or if the unit is an older one, now is the time to change it too.

5. You may want to call in an electrician and make sure your electrical system grounding is both good and meets current codes. Then discuss a "Whole House" major surge protector. I would still do something inline for the furnace, but doing the whole house at your breaker panel can really save the day for you.

6. Talk to a tax expert as some major home improvements can get worked into your income tax returns. I think they call them Capital Improvements but I'm no tax guy.

7. Ask your HVAC contractor about SPACE GUARD pleated media high quality air filters. They work great and are pretty simple and straight forward.

8. While I don't really like them, you may want to considder a programable thermostat that automatically adjusts depending on the time of day. I like the old simple ones, but then have to remember to set it when going out for some time and both at night and in the morning. This is mostly something to think over.

There are other things, but unless you have and are willing to spend some big $$$ it might be best not to get into them for now.

Comment

The first two parts,sorry I wouldn't know the first thing about furnaces.I don't even know if I got my thermostat set right.

It's your third subject.Thats the good stuff.

Comment

A few to consider are the TRANE XV90 the FRIGIDAIRE ULTRA and the LENOX ELITE G61 Stay away from Bryant and Carrier. You want a minimum efficiency rating of 92%, two stage with continuous fan operation, (most employ a DC fan motor) and a programable thermostat is a must.
                          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Nice guys always find each other and ask him if you can change the heat exchanger.This will buy you a couple of years, thats if you can still get them for your unit.
                            Tyler
                            Last edited by Tyler S; 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Lennox, Carrier/Bryant, Trane are probably the big dogs. Great warranties. Rheem/Ruud are down the ladder a bit but still good.

Changed about 4-5 heat exchangers this year so far. All under warranties.
                              A couple of Carrier 90% were involved. Customer just had to pay the labor.

Stick with a good dealer. He'll have any parts that will be needed for any future repair or can get them that day from his supplier.

Good luck

Buckeyetech

Comment

Working...
                              X