X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat ?

I recently built a passive solar front porch above ground. I pored 2 1/2" concrete and thinset mortar, and 1/2" tiles and lots of windows. I'm allowing the sun to heat the room which is 18'x8' and so far, on sunny days its working great. Now w/all this heat storing up in the room, I need to suck it out and blow it into my basement, free heat. So far works great, I'm using 3 1/4"x 10" duct and changed it to a 6" round duct for the fan. My problem is I need a thermostat that will turn my fan on lets say 60 degrees and shuts it off at 59 degrees. Nothing fancy just practical, and I'm having a real hard time finding one that can do the job. Can a digital thermostat be programed into doing this method? Or is there an a/c thermostat that can be mounted on the wall, and be able to the job. The wire of course is already there for 110 hook up. I installed a house thermostat already, the guy at home depot told me I was over thinking my project and thats what I needed, boy was he wrong. Whats my best option, any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: thermostat ?

I would be surprised if you find a thermostat which operates on a one degree temperature differential.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

thats not what I'm getting at, the thermostat would act more like a switch or a timer(but only on sunny days) when the porch warms up, it can be 5 degrees different it doesn't matter, just as long as it shuts off at any temp that I can set it at. The sun heats the room which is the concrete, the concrete stores that heat and then releases it slowly when the sun goes down. So I need something that works on temp, and not a switch, because I won't be there to turn it on and off. I hope all of this is making heads and tails.
      Last edited by garager; 02-16-2007, 05:46 PM.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

What you want is a single pole or a double pole, double throw line voltage thermostat. Please see links below. You will connect in it series with the fan just like a wall switch and a light fixture. I have several choices in mind that I think will work for you. By the way you can connect this so it either makes connection when the room temp is above or below the set point. Please check them out.

Warning: Do not use these for resistance electric heating. They are fine for the current draw of a fan, but not the heavy load of electric heating.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...?ItemKey=2E158 (This should work OK for your needs.) You only switch the hot (black wire) side and leave neutral and ground connected together.

Comment

Ok, I guess I need an a/c thermostat, that answer came from another forum, and they were not to pleased that I wasted space on their forum for that simple question. However I did not know that some company made a wall mount a/c thermostat by itself without heat. I think I'll stay in Ridgig, people here are so much nicer and understanding when you don't have an answer for everything. This almost sounds like venting, errrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
          Woussko that looks like what I have on my wall right now...

Comment

Having just joined this forum I may be late with my suggestion on this. I do know that ther are line thermostats (120 volt) available. As far as I know there is not a Tstat that has that close of 1 degree diff. between on and off. The reason being is that the equipment would cycle to fast leading to a shorter motor life (possible burn out). What you could check out would be a digital Tstat that is programable (24 volt) This will give you a much more accurate reading as to the true temp. in your space. If you go with this idea you will need a 24 volt source (transformer 120 volt step down to a 24 volt)for your Tstat, a contactor relay (single pole) with a 24 volt coil. Wire the contactor in on your hot leg of the 120 volt that is powering your fan. From your 24 volt side (hot leg) go from the transformer 24 volt side thru your Tstat to the 24 volt coil on your contactor, thru the coil and back to the transformer (neautral leg). This should give you more accurate control.

Comment

Ok, I know there is not a thermostat that has a 1 degree difference I am not looking for one at a 1 degree difference, this is not my point. My point is thermostat kicks on lets say 60 degrees, and shuts off at ANY TEMP. below that, it doesn't matter 1 or 5 degrees... Also my wires are already in the wall, its for 110, no low voltage wires, I have to deal w/ what is going on right now, because I was told this set up I have is going to work, but it was all wrong. We live and learn and trust what some people have to say, now I have to correct my situation and that means an a/c thermostat. I should have listened to myself from the beginning, but was told I was over thinking, and this is what I should do. That about sums it up, I thank everyones help, thank you....

Comment

Garager

The thermostat I put a link to is one for line voltage and it's for either heating or air conditioning. It will work fine with your fan. Expect about a 3 degree temp change from on to off. Depending on how it's connected it will make contact when the temp rises or falls. If you can control the fan with a simple wall switch now, you're all set for one like this. There are others made and if you want, I'll help you find them. Just be sure you do go with a simple snap action type and that it's rated for over 120 Volts and several Amps. load. I hate the idea of what it would take to convert over to 24 Volts AC for this use.

If you end up going to an HVAC dealer or an electrical supply house just ask for a wall mount SPDT line voltage thermostat. Get a nice simple one and not some fancy overpriced YUPPIE toy. You just don't need such. As long as you have a single gang metal (steel) wiring box, it will mount to it.
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-17-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

THANK YOU, Woussko, I do understand what your saying and I'll go that route.

Comment

Garager Glad I could help some. Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Will do........

Comment

Working...
                      X