X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new furnace gas control valve

I have a ~92 Armstrong furnace and the Gas control valve has "Essex" written on it. I had a pro come over and look at it and he said the Valve is getting stuck and needs to be replaced.

My question is, what valve should I use? Does it have to be a specific model or it doesn't matter. It has inlet/outlet and two smaller pilot pipes and the electrical(2 wires) going from it. Thanks

Re: Need a new furnace gas control valve

Check the model # of the Essex valve and cross ref. it over to a Honeywell or White Rodgers. These valves will be much easier to find than the Essex.

If inlet and outlet are same diameter most likely it will be a Honeywell VR8200A or WR 36C03/01 and shouldn't cost more than $120.00. Go ahead and buy a new $10.00 thermocouple (smaller copper looking tubing attached to gas valve) also and save yourself some trouble later.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      Check the model # of the Essex valve and cross ref. it over to a Honeywell or White Rodgers. These valves will be much easier to find than the Essex.

If inlet and outlet are same diameter most likely it will be a Honeywell VR8200A or WR 36C03/01 and shouldn't cost more than $120.00. Go ahead and buy a new $10.00 thermocouple (smaller copper looking tubing attached to gas valve) also and save yourself some trouble later.
      The furnace is actually a Magic Chef Mo: G75-105D-9 and the Gas valve is "Essex SX211L-6"
      The gas valve has 1/2" in and 3/4" out. I would like to replace it but I can't find the cross ref. anywhere to the Essex valve. Any help. Thx

Comment

Did your mechanic quote you a price for replacement?? When he says "stuck" what exactly does that mean?...what is it doing or not doing?

I can't seem to find much on the Essex SX211L-6 gas valve either. There's a few furnace manufacturers that use an oddball gas valve and Magic Chef is one of them. Theres still a real good change that it can be changed out with a Honeywell model. If it's 1/2" in and 3/4" out would most likely be the VR8300A3500. If I could put my eyes on it I'd be able to tell you for sure.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeyw...px/VR8300A3500

Its your standard opening (not step) 24 volt standing pilot straight through design valve rated up to 190,000 BTU's. Check the specs on the gas valve itself and the furnace rating plate.

If what you have is a proprietary gas valve you'll may be looking at a $300-$400 dollar valve $$$ not really worth it for a 15 year old furnace.
        Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-14-2007, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Did your mechanic quote you a price for replacement?? When he says "stuck" what exactly does that mean?...what is it doing or not doing?

I can't seem to find much on the Essex SX211L-6 gas valve either. There's a few furnace manufacturers that use an oddball gas valve and Magic Chef is one of them. Theres still a real good change that it can be changed out with a Honeywell model. If it's 1/2" in and 3/4" out would most likely be the VR8300A3500. If I could put my eyes on it I'd be able to tell you for sure.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honeyw...px/VR8300A3500

Its your standard opening (not step) 24 volt standing pilot straight through design valve rated up to 190,000 BTU's. Check the specs on the gas valve itself and the furnace rating plate.

If what you have is a proprietary gas valve you'll may be looking at a $300-$400 dollar valve $$$ not really worth it for a 15 year old furnace.

Yes, his quote was $389 for a new Honeywell valve. I saw the name but didn't get the model number

Problem is, when the heater turns on the gas supplied to the burners is not enough (only 1 inch high flames). Then he hit the gas valve and the burner fire hight increased from 1 inch to 2 inches. The opening it's getting stuck internally.

How about I take a few pictures on post them here, would that help any? I'll do that tonight.
          Thanks

Comment

I took some pictures and it might be hard to see some of the stuff but I hope you can help me.
            The Essex model is SX211J-6 instead of the "L" I said earlier, it was hard to see due to that's it on the other side and I was using a mirror to read it.

Gas valve
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furnace/Valve.jpg
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furnace/Valve_2.jpg

Furnace rating sticker (Bonnet Capacity 105,000; 84,000)
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furna...ace_rating.jpg

Back side of the valve, hard to read.
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furnace/1.jpg
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furnace/2.jpg
            http://myweb.cableone.net/dado/Furnace/3.jpg

Let me know
            Thank you again

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the same Essex, but if not they may know something about how to contact the right one. While I don't see the correct product line on their web site, they look as if they could manufacture such valves. It might be worth giving them a call.

Essex Manufacturing
              #6 Sunnen Drive, St. Louis, MO 63143
              Phone: 314-644-3000
              Fax: 314-644-3857
              e-mail: mfg@essexind.com

A good HVAC tech should be able to figure a way to use a generic Honeywell or White Rogers gas valve. If it's 3/4 in, just use a bushing. This will take a little plumbing but shouldn't be too hard. When I took a good look at your pictures, to me it looks like you have a thermocouple for the pilot and a pilot port. You might need to add an orifice of the proper size. That's for the tech to deal with. Otherwise it's pretty much just a regular gas valve. How's the condition of the rest of your furnace? It might be time to think about a replacment along with new AC coil. With fuel costs going up, saving on gas may very well pay off the replacement cost over say 10-15 years. And, if you have central AC a new (and hopefully improved design) coil can same some electricity.

In any case please do yourself a favor and replace the piece of romex to the controls. Try to keep the new piece away from the burner. There should be a power switch on the outside of your furnace or maybe on the wall.
              Last edited by Woussko; 04-16-2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Slayder you are in luck. The Honeywell VR8300A3500 will work here. You can find it at most heating and a/c suppliers. Amazon has it for $75.00. It comes with the adapter to go from 1/2" to 3/4". No new orifice needed. Please be careful when tightening the new valve they break easily if overtightened. Dont forget to get a new thermocouple. Looks like at least a 24" maybe 30" one will work. Remember, length doesn't matter unless its too short.

You are working with gas so please take all neccessary precautions.

Take Wousskos advice and get that piece of Romex out of the inside of furnace!!!

Comment

Thank you for your help, I ordered a valve and will update you when I install it.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayder View Post
                    Thank you for your help, I ordered a valve and will update you when I install it.
                    Thanks again.
                    Well I got it and it took me 45min to install. Replaced the valve and thermocouple, man I tell you the furnace never worked better. The flames are great now. I only had to readjust the pilot light on the new valve.

Now I can enjoy my 15year old furnace with $300 left in my pocket THANKS TO YOU GUYS. You ROCK.

PS. All the fittings were cleaned with a wire brush and new thread compound was used, then I checked for leaks with soapy water. All is good

Comment

Originally posted by Slayder View Post
                      Now I can enjoy my 15year old furnace with $300 left in my pocket. All is good
                      Just in time for spring

Comment

Working...
                      X