X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do leak sealers work in auto AC?

I've got a 1998 Ford Clubwagon. The AC works when I give it a couple of cans of 134a so I know the compressor in coil work, but it loses it's cool in a few days. Can anyone recommend a leaker sealer that actually works?

TIA!

Re: Do leak sealers work in auto AC?

I have used leak sealers in the past on A/C for people who leaked down maybe once a year with some success.

If you are leaking down every few days, I have doubts that any sealer will work. I suggest buying a can of refrigerant with some dye in it adn locate the source of the leak.

You are also sure to be out of oil if its leaking down that fast and will also need to put the correct oil back in the compressor.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but you have a major leak somewhere that is going to require repair.

Sorry,

Comment

I hope someone has a better answer than I do but when that happened to my old Explorer I was told I'd have to replace the cooling unit. It's amazing how fast one can get used to the heat when the repair bill is more than the vehicle is worth.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Find a shop that has a leak detector for R134a. They can add about a pound of it and then go find out where the leak is. If you're lucky it's a hose or fitting. If it's compressor seals then you're in for some big $$$ to fix it.
        Last edited by Woussko; 06-08-2007, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Charge your sytem up, then put "bubble juice" on all the joints of the ac system. Make sure the hoses aren't attatched when you do this.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gear Junkie has a good idea. Also before doing anything else really look over the compressor, lines and the coil that's directly in front of the engine radiator. If you have a serious leak, the compressor oil will have squirted out and will leave a mess you should be able to see.

Part 2: Before adding anymore R134a really clean up under the hood. Wipe everything clean with "Rags In A Box" or such. Then if you add more and some oil leaks out it will be easier to spot.
            Last edited by Woussko; 06-09-2007, 03:00 AM.

Comment

You can also buy a UV dye kit and trace the leak that way.

Comment

Thanks for the responses gang. I will clean it up and try to spend some more time with it this w/e. I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                X