X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower motor

I have a furnace blower I am going to make an air scubber out of for my wood shop. Only problem is when i received the unit I didn't get a wiring diagram. I have a Red, a Blue and a Black wire comong from the motor and a white wire coming from the condensor mounted on top of squirrel cage cover.

Any Ideas on how to wire it, I want to but a switch in line so I can turn it on and off
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: Blower motor

Never done what you're trying to do so I can only get you halfway there.
    You need to figure out which wires is your run(R), start(S) and common(C).
    Measure in ohms between the wires. Make sure power is off and the motor is isolated. You'll get 3 different readings and here's the interpretation:
    R-S highest ohms
    C-S second highest
    R-C lowest

The white wire is probably ground. I've seen that before in old units.
    There's also probably a capacitor in line with the motor. I can tell you where it is but I need to know, is this a package or a split pack? Spin the shaft of the motor, does it spin freely? For wiring it up, I never done but give some time to think, might be able to figure it out.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The unit is all one piece and there is a capacitor on the top of the cage housing. That is where the white wire comes from. I'll try the ohm meter and let you know
      Thanks
      www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Black is going to be high speed. Blue is medium, and red is low. As for the white wire being hooked to the cap: it has been along time since I have seen a motor like that and I cant remember how to wire them. All new replacement single phase PSC motors have 2 brown wires for the cap, and the white is just neutral or common, whatever you want to call it.

At one time there was a wiring diagram on your motor which is probably hidden by the mounting bracket. Whether its still there or readable is the question.

To add your switch, just hook the lead for whatever speed you want to 1 side of a switch, and put 110 volts to the other side of the switch.

Comment

can we get some pics of your fan and unit? If you see a data plate anywhere take a pic of that to.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ruud, you're right, I'm thinking of compressors for some reason. I changed 2 out yesterday and 1 today. I think the heats been getting to me. Sauk, most schematic are located on the back of the service panel.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ruud, good having another ac tech amongst us. From your reply, I take it you do service repair?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Gear Junkie. Yes, and I dabble a little in sheet metal too.

Comment

I'll get a pic on here tomorrow. If I have 3 speeds and want to ise it in a normal sized 2 stall garage as an air scrubber, what speed do you recomend, Medium?
                  www.woodandwax.net

Comment

i would use medium at the very highest, low would suite you best. i have made a few of these for people over the past few months. one hugh word of caution, if this is a wood shop you will need a really good filter like a pleated media filter. the fine sawdust parctical will blow across everything, if you are parking your cars in there they will have wicked swirlls quick, and that is the pitts. i talk from experience. a thought for you would be to wire to medium speed and use a reo-stat the controll the fan spped just right. a reo-stat is the motor equivelent to a dimmer fyi. what climate do you live in ? i have some more ideas depending
                    Last edited by proplumb; 07-10-2007, 09:30 PM.
                    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Yeah I think medium would be a decent place to start. You dont want to overpower the filter with the blower. If you get too much air-speed you will decrease the performace of the filter, essentially pulling the dirt and dust right through it. But, you will also need a certain amount of air movement to effectively clean the air in your shop. You might have to try all 3 speeds to see which one works best.

You can help yourself out from the start by choosing the biggest filter you can find. Here, a 20x25 is the biggest that is readily available. This will give you the lowest FPM/sq.in. no matter what speed you are using.

Comment

Working...
                      X