Thermostats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats

We are wanting to change out the thermostat in a house to a 5+1+1. I see Lowes has a Hunter brand, are they any good? I know Honeywell is the well known brand, but Hunter is cheaper by far. Thanks.
    God Bless You Super Good!!!

Re: Thermostats

The Hunter will probably work out ok for you, I personally dont like them though. Most of those store bought stats have multi-function keys that easily confuse someone who isnt the original purchaser. Most of the complaints I see are: Having to hold the temperature up/down button until the display blinks, then you are able to change the temp. The ones I have ran across do seem to hold the time well, and the temp readings are usually ok, but can vary from stat to stat.

The new Honeywell stuff has a 5 year warranty which has been a good selling point for me. For you I would recommend a Focus Pro 6000 TH6220D1028, or if you really want a nice touch screen, the Vision Pro 8000 TH8320U1008. The next step up from there is the IAQ which has a ton of features the average person doesnt need, but are really cool in the right application.

Just make sure whatever you get is compatible with your type of heat/air, and remember to shut the line voltage off before you pull the stat wires off.

Comment

Ruud what are you? The hvac version of Rick? That's great advice Dave.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Im with Ruud on this one. Honeywell VisionPro and FocusPro are the only t-stats I use. There's a good reason why Hunter is way less expensive; it's garbage. 3 VisionPros TH8320U in my house that I just bought on Ebay less than $85.00 each shipped.

Comment

Thanks Gear Junkie. I'm too new here to know who Rick is, but if he's an A-hole we might be similiar.

$85 for the T8320 is a steal. My normal cost is about 1.6 times that. Unfortunately for me I cant use them at home. My Ruud Modulating furnaces require the 401 series Ruud stat that looks like the White Rabbit, in order to function correctly as a mod.

My only complaint with the new Honeywell stuff is how the remote indoor sensors need to be wired in series/parallel combinations of 1, 4, or 9. A few weeks ago I needed 2 sensors in a house. 1 up and 1 down. So rather than having 2 sensors right next to each other, up and down, I doubled up the innards in the housings. I had to buy 4 sensors and throw away 2 housings, but I didnt know how else to do it and make it look right.

Comment

Working...
          X