X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• infared thermometer accurate?

Are these things accurate? I thinking of using them to see if a reversing valve isn't switching over.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: infared thermometer accurate?

ben, i use one to locate the waste lines in the subterrainian garages. i run hot water down the fixture of choice and then just point and shoot with the laser site. no ladder and i know what line is hot and what is cold. real time saver for me.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I think they would work good for both of those applications. I tried using one to measure the line temps for superheat and subcooling readings and it just wasnt accurate enough for me. I use a Fluke 80PK-8 plugged in to my Fieldpiece SC66 for line temps. My infrared thermometer sits in the living room so our cat can chase the little red dot. It works good for that.

Comment

Ben,

They work well but the accuracy depends on how nice of one you get and how often it is recalibrated. The better ones can be ajusted to compensate for the materials you are measuring. I have also used them to narrow down the location of hot water slab leaks.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Andy,
          If it can't measure SH and SC then it probably won't be accurate enough to check the reversing valve. It warmed my heart to see you check SH and SC. "Techs" around here consider them a myth. I use the same temp pipe clamp. Love it. I use the Fluke 16. I was also looking at the 922. Any thoughts?

Ben
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The $40-$50 dollar ones may not work for your application.

I use mine all the time during heat season tracking down leaking heat lines in concrete slabs. A real time saver.

Comment

So there isnt much of a temperature difference between the line temps out of the reversing valve? I dont see too many HP's here. I've installed a couple mini-splits and those had the metering device outside.

The Fluke 16 looks pretty nice, but I cant tell you much about the 922. It looks cool, but I cant think of a time in recent memory where I really needed one.

I need to upgrade my DMM to one with a high voltage shaker. My old SC66 has been through some rough times and its overdue to get replaced.

Comment

Andy,
                The application I'm interested is for the reversing valves. The line by itself is always the discharge line. The middle line is always the suction line. To test a leaking valve take the temp of the suction and one of the lines on the side. One will be the same temp as the discharge line, the other will be the same temp (should be) as the suction line. The difference between the suction and the other line can't be more than 3 degrees.

When I test this I have to take the top of the condenser off. Drill a hole into the service panel. Attach the temp clamp to one of the lines, run my temp probe line through the hole, put top back on, turn unit on, wait 15 min. Repeat the process for the other side. Sometimes this take me an hour to do. An infared would speed this up greatly.

The 922 is a clamp on but it can also take temps. If only I could check microfarads. I wouldn't need my 16 and other clamp on(forgot model).
                Get a fluke, you won't be dissapointed.

Ben
                Last edited by gear junkie; 07-15-2007, 09:18 AM. Reason: forgot something
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                X