Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions on new A/C unit

Ok, the update.

I've been working for a big, local A/C contractor for amost 2 months, doing cabinet work in their house. I had asked them if they'd be interested in doing my sons house. Sure!!
    We waited a full month and still nothing as far as getting it installed. Always a reason for missing an appt and rarely ever called when he was supposed to. This past Friday, I has talking to them about finishing up my work and mentioned that my son still had NOT had his A/C unit installed as he was told 2 weeks prior. Later that day, someone from his company called him and said they were too busy and he should go elsewere! ????? WHAT!!!!! After all i've done for them on their house and waiting a stinking MONTH!!! Needless to say, I was pissed, and still am!! Geee, maybe I'll be too busy to finish THEIR house this year!!!

Anyways, I told my son to call Sun Energy, the same company that did my A/C 12 years ago. He called them last Friday, they came out Monday for a prelimanary check, the estimator/salesman came out Tuesday and my son just called and as of 9:15 this morning, It was DONE!!!
    New York 3 ton gaspack, new stand, new duct, new disconnect, ran the gas line up from the old heater through the attic and to the unit. Added a programable thermostat, tax, license, dealer prep and dest. fees, bla bal bal.... $3,700. One year P&L and 10 years on the compressor. He's happy as a duck in fresh water and I've got a call into Sun Energy to thank Rick for a great job.

It's really amazing how easily crappy service can kill a simple job, and how easily GOOD service can make someone happy for life!!

Mark
    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Mark

Tell the "too busy" contractor off and stop doing any work for them. They *** in your face so think of them as the ones that *** on you. To them your money, even if it was $10,000 cash just isn't good enough. Law firms pull this all the time on some of their best clients. They only want the stuff where they make over $25,000 per hour doing about nothing other than swimming in money. This HVAC contractor has the greed disease. Keep far, far away.

Part 2
      I bet your son will enjoy comfort and energy savings over his old equipment. It would be interesting to check energy use of the old VS the new over a few years.
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-15-2007, 05:50 AM. Reason: foul language

Comment

I know, it's a crap shoot on how to deal with this. I could get in their face but I honestly don't think it would make any difference. I'll most likely just finish up my last little bit of work and call it done. They showed their colors and i'll never forget that,,,,,and NEVER recommend them to anyone! but SUN ENERGY is A#1 in my book!

As far as energy savings, knowing my son, he'll have it set at 68 day and night! LOL ( I raised him good huh!!!) His old unit was about 20 some years old and rattled the dishes in the kitchen while it was running. He's happy and i'm happy for him!
        Last edited by The Wood Meister; 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM.
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Being happy is what matters most. By NOT recommending the greedy company over time they will pay.

Tell your son that 68 is too cold for mom and dad so until he wakes up and sets it at say 74-76 for AC that you won't visit him anymore. I bet that works.

Comment

68 is fine with us! In the spring and fall with the evap, mornings will be in the mid 50's in here and we're lovin it! Winter time we set the heater at about 60 unless company is coming over.

Comment

it was my understanding that manufacturers will stop producing r-22 in 2010. where i live now we cant by the units but the refrigerant is avalible. i have been told by a du-pont rep that there is millions of tanks full and will last untill about 2020. not sure what the real deal is i have seen allot of conflicting paperwork. my thoughts go with r-22 now and by the time the unit wears out the gas will be gone too, maybe they will refine 410-a
              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

ARRRRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!!!!

My son just called, A/C won't work, zip, zilch, nada thing!! When will I learn to just keep my mouth shut and not try to "help out" with decisions!!! Sigh!!

I hope it's something simple, like he says he's been trying for hours to program his new "programable thermostat". I'm hoping he's just got the thermostat all screwed up, but he said he's put it back to "default" mode but it still won't come on. shooot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Comment

Mark

Ask him if he is able to ever get the blower to run. If not, it might be wise to check for power. A blown control circuit fuse might be the problem or maybe there's a tripped circuit breaker or someone shut off the emergency shut down switch. When things go totally dead it's normally some little stupid thing that gets overlooked.

Note: I like the older simple type thermostats. There's less to get fouled up and I'm the one in command.

Comment

Well, it's almost 9pm. They and the dogs are over here for the night! LOL Wooo Hoooo, sleep over!

He called a buddy and he walked him through a few things. Breakers are ok, not tripped. The main transformer has 233v going in and a big zero coming out. Oh well, it'll get fixed tomorrow one way or another.

Comment

Mark

If you mean the control transformer, that normally should have about 24 VAC coming out. I bet there's a small fuse somewhere inside the control unit not far from the transformer. I would shut off power to everything and take a look but be careful not to disturb connections and such. It may be best if he just places a service call. If the fuse blew something is wrong. Were there any storms in his are since it was installed?

In a worst case, the transformer may need to be replaced which should go pretty easy. There are generic control transformers. Just match specs and mounting. That's for SUN ENERGY to do.

Good luck and please let us know more soon.

Special note: It may be there is more than one transformer. There may be a 240 primary to 120 Volt secondary transformer and also another with a 24 Volt secondary. In any case the big zero on the output says blown fuse or winding.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 09-17-2007, 03:00 AM.

Comment

How good are you with electrical? If you're comfortable with it, I definently won't mind helping you out. I just don't want to get you electrocuted. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. On the other hand, this unit was installed last week so any repair needs should be free of charge.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The unit was installed Friday, stopped Sunday. i'm sure they will fix it! Or else! LOL

Comment

TWM

Just in case, keep the old trusty @$$ blaster handy. I think you know what that is.

Hint: Rock salt blaster

Please do keep us updated on progress. Being it's all new SUN ENERGY better fix it or you may soon have an army there to go after them. Then the army will see that it gets fixed properly. I'm sure that G J would be able to get it running in a jiffy.

Comment

A/C guy was just there and found a bad transformer. Replaced it and it came on fine. My son said it quit after programing the thermostat. The instructions say to "set to heat mode" to program. So, he told the tech to set it to "heat mode" and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PUFFFF went the new transformer. Installed another one and called it good for today. Says he needs to find out why this is happening before doing the "heat mode" again. Guess the transformers are not a dime a dozen? LOL

any ideas why a brand new unit would do this? it only lasted 2 1/2 days! LOL

York, 3 ton gaspack. New thermostat installed by the company. I'm assuming they wired it correctly. I believe there are only 4 wires for the thermostat?

Comment

Sounds like the stat is not wired correctly. When you go to heat mode it sounds like a short occurs that is taking out the xfmr.
                                ---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X