X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condensor fan question

Me again. My neighbor got home 2 days ago from vacation to a 100+ degree house. She came over and asked if I knew anyone who could fix it. She said the condensor fan was not running. (Its an old split 2 1/2 ton unit)
    Well, I called a bud and he stopped by but said its sooooooo old, the motor will be hard to find. I asked him to show me where the wires went and we then yanked the motor. I got it home and got the gladeS off, yes, 2 blades and was hoping to find sealed ball bearings. No such luck. It had bushings in a spring loaded holder. Long story short, the armature was lightly rubbing the winding and one bearing was dry. I polished the shafts and cleaned the dry bushing. (it's still 100 and 90+% humidity and she and her daughter are still there)
    I oiled it up good and put it together. It spun but still rubbed once in a while. I removed the 4 bolts and re-oriented the ends and tightened it up again. No more rubbing. It's in and i'm waiting for her to get home for a test run.

Any ideas on if this may or may not last? She has NO money and the unit is OLD. The motor is an Emerson and the rating is 1/58 hp, twin shaft, horizonally mounted. I think the frame is a 4YL? (I have the specs on the motor written down in the shop, going to "try" to find an affordable replacement when she gets some money.

Any encouraging words are appreciated.
    Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Condensor fan question

While normally they only sell to contractors or to businesses, WW Grainger is the place for replacement motors. Ask around and you might be able to get into a current catalog. You can also take a try at their web site at www.grainger.com and see if you can find something close. Your fix might last through the summer but it's not a really good fix. You need to either replace or totally rebuild the motor. If the condensing unit is say 15 or older, it really is best to replace it and the indoor coil. Over the next 10 years the saving on electricity will pay for the upgrade. Maybe because of the $$$ issue you mgiht install a window unit or two in the bedrooms. They are way better than nothing. Do watch out for circuit overloading and especially in an older house.

I would go and reinstall that motor you worked on (be sure of which wires connect to what) and give it a test run. If it runs for a day, it may well last the rest of the summer. Be careful not to bend the fan blades.

Hint: If WW Grainger refuses to sell to you, find a local company that will give you a purchase order and sort of buy it through them. You might look in your yellow pages for motor repair shops and be sure they claim to be able to rewind motors. They should be able to replace the bushings and oil wicks. If done right the motor should run for several years.

For a window AC check local yard sales and the like. People moving might have one that works and be willing to let it go cheap. This takes some hunting on your part. Good luck
    Last edited by Woussko; 07-25-2007, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Well, it did not work. It tried to spin but just sat there growling. I pulled the disconnect and could spin it by hand easily but when I plugged it back in, same thing happened. I think the motor is toast, probably a shorted winding?

I was at my customers house tonight measuring up the entertainment center and ran the story by him. (he owns an a/c company here) She's a single mom and a teacher. No money through the summer.
      He's going to call in and order up the motor in the morning and i'll pick it up about 8am. I'm going to install it for her and call it good. Going to tell her to start saving her money too for a new unit. But my customer was nice enough to give it to me at cost and have it first thing tomorrow. He even offered to come by and install it for free but I can handle that part. There are still good people in the world! LOL

Mark
      Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-25-2007, 12:55 AM.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

You're right about there still being good people in the world. What you are doing makes you one of them.
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Res, I appreciate that. She is now cooling down with the a/c humming along! LOL

When I went to get the new motor, the woman said I need a 5microfairad doodad so I said "huh?". She said I NEEDED it! Ok, i'll take one!

I asked about wiring it up since I claim to know next to nothing about a/c units. There was a guy at the counter waiting on parts and he 'splained it to me. "remove the black jumper from the old capacitor that goes to the contactor, just toss it. Now our new motor will be a 4 wire and the white wire will be a new one and goes to the top right of the contactor. The black goes to the top left. The brown and brown/white goes to the new capacitor. Again I say "huh'?, so he draws a picture on the box! I LIKE PICTURES!!! Pictures are my friend! Show me a picture any day!

So I'm going over all this on the way home trying to picture how it works. I really never did but kept the picture. I got the old fan out and brought it home and removed the last fan blade with my home made puller and opened the box. Guess what? only 3 wires and all 3 the exact same color and length as the orig motor. Ha Yoooo! I can do this! Brown to brown, black to black and blue to blue. I put in the new capacitor and fired it up!! It works!! Ya baby!!!
          Did something today i've never done before. Thats cool!

Mark

Comment

Congratulations Mark,

You are now more qualified than half of the people I work with

She was right about the 5microfairad doodad, you do need it

You should feel good. Any respectable HVAC company would have charged $400-$600 for that repair.

Well done sir

Comment

The doodad is called a capacitor.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wait till you have trouble with the flux capacitor. Those will really give you trouble.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

T W M

Nice going and glad you got it working. The capacitor is a must if the motor is designed to use one. You have to right idea about her saving up funds for a new condensing unit later on. In the end it will pay off.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Wait till you have trouble with the flux capacitor. Those will really give you trouble.

I know about those! They used one in "back to the future"! LOL My a/c days are over, atleast at her house! I managed to change the contactor on mine last year out of shear desperation. It was kicking off and on about every 2 seconds! Driving me nuts and it was hot! Poor thing was arcked and toasted after 10 years!

Comment

Well, they still have the wondows closed so I'm guessing it's still working! LOL

One last question. I remembered that I did not hook up the short green ground wire that was hanging off the motor. Is this absolutely necessary to have bolted to the motor bracket? Or not?

Mark

Comment

Will run without connecting it and more than likely the motor is grounded through the mounting. Sometime when you're over there, shut off power and connect it to be safe. If nothing else you'll feel better about your work.

Comment

Just popped in here... are we sure it wasn't the capacitor to start with? I'm not an A/C man but I do access controls and electric gates. I've had capacitors crap out and the motor will hum and not start. Some motors have a starting capacitor and may also have a run capacitor. If they won't work, motor won't run.

Just tossing that out there. Good to hear its working for her!

Clato

Comment

My a/c customer asked if the motor had much end play in the shaft, I said yes. He said toss it, so I did. It (the shaft) slid back and forth atleast 3/8". The armature also had rub marks on it too so I figured it was rubbing the winding and coupled with the end play it was just time. A full 30 hours now and still working! I'm happy.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X