X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smell comming from A/C

Hey guys! Need a little insight here if you please!

Situation:

Local club I belong to has a smell that occurs when the A/C is turned on. Originally thought it was a problem with a drain line that was stopped up. Got that fixed but the smell stayed. With the A/C off it is not there... turn the A/C on and in a couple of minutes the smell is back.

Prior to turning on the unit I've walked into the room/closet with the unit, no smell. There is only a short trunk from the unit to the vent going into the room (only one) aro 4 or 5' long. Return air filter is clean, everything seems ok, but the smell is not pleasant.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Clato

Re: Smell comming from A/C

Have you checked the evaporator coil? Some nasty stuff grows in there. Does the condensate line(3/4" pvc) have a p trap on it? It will be outside the unit and obvious.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just forgot, can you describe the smell?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

lol it is that bird i put there a few weeks ago lol
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am not an HVAC pro but, as a homeowner who also has a lot of inlaws, have gotten somewhat familiar with the basics of the air flow. So, some questions:

1. Is it the type of unit with the compressor on the outside of the building and just the cooling coils in the "closet" (probably on top of the gas or electric heater and uses the same blower fan)? If so, the problems could be a buildup of mold, crud, animal hair, etc on the cooling coils, which get wet from condensation and can stink pretty badly. Or it could be a dead critter that has died somewhere in the air plenum (either from the coils, in the return air going to the blower fan, or in the furnace portion). Rats and mice that have poisoned with DeCon, etc, usually seek water, and the A/C coils provide that with the condensation, especially in the humid south. It may take a professional to get access to the coils themselves if it was installed so the freon lines block access for panel removal. If the coils are dirty or blocked, cleaning them will greatly improve the efficiency of the unit also.

2. If the compressor is in the same room, or in the attic just above it, there may be a dead critter laying on or near the compressor, which starts to heat up when the compressor kicks in.

3. If its a burnt rubber type smell, I would be checking the blower motor belt, and also all wiring insulation.

Just a couple of thoughts based on past experience.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

i like where gear junky is headed, get the evaporator coil cleaned that is a likely place to start. make sure that they condinsate pan is not full of crud, legionair desease is a crappy thing to get from a lack of maintenence
            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Try running the fan only, if there is a fan switch on the thermostat. If you dont get the smell with the fan only, but still get it with the a/c, that might thicken the plot.

I pulled a dead rat out of the blower comparment of a furnace just last week and it had an interesting smell to say the least. Its impossible to describe the smell, but it wasnt pleasant.

Comment

Clato

What is the smell like? Does it smell something like an old damp mop? Burning plastic or rubber? Sweat and sickening? Garbage dump? Sewage? Please describe the smell as best you can.

Comment

If you cant find the source of the smell (problem), our company has a unit that will fit in the return air plenum and kill any bacteria, or smell that would be there.
                  It is R.C.I. Space Certified technology. Fresh Air by Duct Works.
                  clr@freshairliving.com

Comment

Clato

Where are you hiding? To help you we need to gain more info.

Comment

Working...
                    X