X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaporator coil cleaners

What is your recommended evaporator coil cleaner?

Do you really need a commercially formulated cleaner or will a 1:3 bleach/water solution work? Is there a better ratio (higher/lower)?

I did my bi-monthly filter change-out and the electrostatic air cleaner coil cleaning yesterday evening and am thinking I should probably clean the A-coil as it has not been done since we moved here a couple years ago. I don't have much history with HVAC maintenance to draw on so I am asking those of you who do this every day.

My coil is easy to reach so I was thinking of using a hand spray bottle with some bleach and water on the coils then follow with a rinse of water only. Then run the system for about a half hour to an hour to allow the condensation to further rinse the coil down.

I've already inspected the trap and cleaned it out, and the condensate pump reservoir too.

For the condenser coil outside power the unit down then spray the coil and let them soak for a few minutes. Then remove the cover to gain access to the inside and spray again from the inside out. Let sit a couple more minutes then rinse with hose at low pressure from the inside out. Put it all back together and restore power.

Miller time.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Evaporator coil cleaners

Since you don't do ac for a living, Calgon makes coil cleaner in a can. Just spray and you're done. No wiping or rinsing.I can get those for $5 a can but I'm not sure what you'll pay at the supply house. They also have them for your condenser. Bleach isn't very effective and I don't recommend it. It sounds like you cleaned your condenser right.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

gear junkie is right on the money, just watchout for the power of the spray, it can shoot 6' away so when you hace the can in close quarters it will spaeyback hard. use one whole can per cleaning and just let the foam drip into your pan and down the drain it will go
      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Thanks guys, I will stop by United or my regular supply house (if they have any, they're much closer) tomorrow after work and pick some up. Guess I won't get the job finished this weekend, which is why I was asking about bleach/water solution, I guess I will pick up a couple cans so I am ready for next time. I have my own account at the plumbing supply so my price should be in line, the company I work for gives them about $300K/yr in orders (which is not a lot I know) so the guy I deal with ought to take care of me OK. We don't do plumbing except for maintenance of facilities around the plant. Ask me how much money we spend on valves, large bore pipe, and hangers in a year with various vendors and we are talking a nice chuck of change.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X