Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite saying

They're either idiots or liars.

I ran into another a/c today that was misdiagnosed, big-time. I got a call last night from a long-time customer concerning her mothers air in her mobile home. I usually dont work on mobile home stuff, but this time I made an exception because of who it was and the circumstances.

Their description of what the first contractor did wasnt very clear. They said the unit had frozen up, and that he removed a circuit breaker which he wired around. He told them that running the unit this way was a fire hazard, but that he would let it run like that for no more than 2 days and she needed a new outside unit. But the unit was cooling the trailer just fine.

What prompted the service call was some crew putting new skirting around the trailer had removed the disconnect and somehow screwed it up.

So the customers daughter and son-in-law were a little skeptical and decided to call me for another opinion.

I get there and find the switch inside the Square D outdoor disconnect had been removed. It looks like a circuit breaker, but it isnt. In fact it says right on it "No overcurrent protection provided". So I flip it on and off a few times while probing the terminals with my meter. I find it shows continuity about half the time. Definately screwed up. I can see why he removed it.

Next I ask to see the electrical panel. I see a 30 amp breaker marked A/C. Sure enough I flip it and the outdoor unit shuts off. Then I pull the panel cover and see the 30 amp breaker has #10 wire hooked to it. My bs meter had been dinging since the original phone call, but at this point it was just a solid squeal.

Before I left I hung my gauges on the unit and found it was a little overcharged, but nothing worth dragging the recovery machine out for.

I told her the guy was either an idiot or a liar.

Re: My favorite saying

trying to figure out the bs part. if the dissconnect is shot then he was right. replaceit and allong we go, the #10 wire i swhat it should be so what is the deal?. did you check the coil to see if it was dirty? you may have multiple issues going on.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

I agree unless the condenser is a looooong way away a number 10 should be fine.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
        trying to figure out the bs part. if the dissconnect is shot then he was right. replaceit and allong we go, the #10 wire i swhat it should be so what is the deal?. did you check the coil to see if it was dirty? you may have multiple issues going on.
        The first contractor told them it was a fire hazard to run the unit with the outdoor disconnect bypassed, and also said it was ok to run the unit like that for 2 days. They contradicted themselves. They also told her she needed a new condensor.

They were wrong to tell her it was a fire hazard to run the unit without the outdoor disconnect because there is no overcurrent protection provided, or needed there. They were also wrong to tell her she needed a new condensor because it was kicking *** and taking names. So I have to ask: Are they liars or idiots?

Comment

Working...
        X