Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

blower fan works for a while...then quits??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blower fan works for a while...then quits??

..enjoy reading this site.

The Goodman 3 ton heat pump installed in 1999 blows great cold air. But after awhile the squirrel cage fan/blower motor fan stops operating and the unit freezes up. Then it will not work for awhile(maybe 6-10 hours) and then out of the blue this weirdo fan starts working again. And it happens all over again. Have cleaned(scuffed up) off where all the wires are connected.

.....any ideas?

Re: blower fan works for a while...then quits??

When it quits check for power at the motor, if there is power the motor may have tripped the thermal switch (bad bearing or motor), or you may have an intermittent open winding. If there is no power then the control relay may be bad or you may be missing the signal to the relay.

Comment

check the bearings of the fan. with the power off, rotate the squirrel cage, it should be smooth. If that's alright, check the capacitor. You just have to troubleshoot the power to the motor. It freezes up because the fan goes out.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Since it is freezing up, I would believe its not a control signal issue to the relay. The system seems to think that all is running. I am with others on the bearing issue, sounds like a thermal overload.

Be careful when spinning the squirrel cage by hand, usually those blades are wicked sharp.

Regards,

Comment

It freezes because the fan is not working. The same thing can happen with a clogged air filter. The evaporator can't absorb any heat because there's no airflow acroos it but the condenser is still giving off heat dropping the pressure and temperature. Damage to the compressor can occur if this continues
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Updated 7:05pm Eastern on 8/7/07

While this is not a good fix you might have someone that does electrical work rig up a power cord to the blower motor (If the motor is good) and plug it in. It would run non-stop but you would have some AC until the heat wave tames and you can get things fixed up. You do not want the compressor to run without having good air flow over both the inside and outside coils.

By the way if you do the above, be sure to pull the plug after cutting power to the condensing unit outside first. Do not leave this running if you're not home in case something does go wrong.

If you can, connect up a test light across the power wires of the motor and note if it stays lit up when the motor stops. running but the unit outside is running.
            Last edited by Woussko; 08-07-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Sounds like thermal overload to me too but...6-10 hours to cool off and reset? this has me rethinking......hmmm...

While you are checking the bearings for smooth operation also check the squirrell cage for heavy build up of dust on the blades. This can cause blower motor to overheat as well.

After checking all the above call a professional to have a look.

And make sure you post the results here. We need closure!

Comment

I knew I had ran across this before, it just took almost a day for me to remember the situation. The problem was the high and low speed wires were touching each other on the circuit board. The reset time was not 6-10 hours like yours though.

With the lack of QC I see on the Goodman stuff, my money is on a faulty control board.

Comment

Please disregard my post about the power cord. That's asking for big trouble if not done correctly and with someone there to monitor things in case they do go wrong. While it may very well work fine, it's best to play things safe, but then with it so darn hot, maybe give it a try but be sure to use care. Be sure NOT to connect the motor so it can receive power from the furnace control circuit and the power cord at the same time or it's KaBoom time.

Ruu has the right idea. Turn off power and then check for any shorted wires or bad connections. You might also give things the "sniff" test checking for any burning smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Please disregard my post about the power cord. That's asking for big trouble if not done correctly and with someone there to monitor things in case they do go wrong. While it may very well work fine, it's best to play things safe, but then with it so darn hot, maybe give it a try but be sure to use care. Be sure NOT to connect the motor so it can receive power from the furnace control circuit and the power cord at the same time or it's KaBoom time.
                    Actually I thought your first post was great advice. If someone cant handle rigging up a power cord to check the motor, then they have no business trying to troubleshoot any part of it.

I carry the male end of an extension cord with alligator clips on the other end just for scenarios like this. I also carry the female end with alligator clips to rob power for my vacuum pump when theres no outlet close.

Comment

Ruud

While we could do it and get away with doing it, I wonder about "Harry The Home Owner" doing it safely. More than likely the origional poster should have either an HVAC tech (hard to get one in this heatwave) come, or just have an electrician come over and check for power at the blower motor.

Comment

...thanks for all input.

We have the Goodman rep working on it and I will post his suggestions and what we do for a fix.

Comment

Any update on what the problem was?

Comment

...i will try and get the exact fix.

The goodman rep called it right on. Seems to be a recurring issue for these 1998 models.

Comment

this was the problem we found when the fan blwer would not come on. It started out sometimes coming on and sometimes not.
                              This is the same unit we had to replace the compressor in.

replaced the "Fan Sequencer". The Goodman Rep. also stated that the Transformer was undersized on this model and gave us a larger, more heavier duty transformer to install. He also said this undersized transformer may have lead to the failure of the fan sequencer since more heat was being produced from the smaller transformer

Hope this helps......

Comment

Working...
                              X