Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Soldering

Quick question,

Can you silver solder over soft solder?

My situation is this, I need to change out a condensing unit for a relative this afternoon and after looking at existing Sunday, I noticed what appeared to be soft soldered fittings on the existing suction line.

I will probalby just cut out the existing lines exiting the home and run new outside, but was curious if it would hold?

Most of my guys say "NO" but a couple old timers mentioned that they have used soft solder many years ago.

REgards,

Re: Silver Soldering

Hell no!!!!!!!!!!! Never do this. This is dangerous. An AC has much more vibration than water does. Totally unsafe. Silver solder is better but you need to braze the line. Run nitrogen as you braze. See my tip in the propress section and under how to keep lines vertical and square. Out of curiosity, what were you going to do with the liquid line?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply, thats pretty much the answer I was expecting.

I am going to remove the sections that exit the home and run to the condenser. I will then braze in a coupling and run new piping to the condensing unit. The compressor is shot and its easier for me to just replace the entire unit and get her back to cooling.

I will get one of my service tech's out to pull a vacuum and start up for her, but they are extremely busy this time of year and I am just trying to help them out on time.

REgards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
        Quick question,

REgards,
        to answer your question, yes. you can silver solder over a soft soldered joint. we have done it many times to fix a soldered joint leak. the issue is you need to burn off the solder before the silver will stick.

the one advantage is you don't have to take the fitting apart to clean and flux.

now keep in mind that this was new construction not service work.

also never on a brass valve or fitting.

from the late 80's most of our mains were silver soldered as we t-drilled our lines.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've done it before, like Rick says, but its been awhile. I guess I dont see what the big deal is.

Did you pull the terminal cover off the compressor and makes sure that it didnt just burn a lead off? I replace about a half dozen sets of compressor leads a year. Most of them are on units that have been condemned by hacks. I cant tell you how many a/c replacements I have 'in the bank'.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys,

I did cut out the offending section on the suction line and replace. Just for giggles, On one of the liquid line fittings (3/8) that was soft soldered, I did try to braze with silver (15%) over it and it worked out just fine.

Also, the compressor was shot, when I got there, there was oil all over the place.

REgards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
              Quick question,

My situation is this, I need to change out a condensing unit for a relative this afternoon and after looking at existing Sunday, I noticed what appeared to be soft soldered fittings on the existing suction line.

I will probalby just cut out the existing lines exiting the home and run new outside, but was curious if it would hold?

Most of my guys say "NO" but a couple old timers mentioned that they have used soft solder many years ago.

REgards,
              Burn the Snot out of it

Comment

What appears to be soft solder hopefully Stay Brite. You can braze over Stay Brite with Stay Silv 15, etc. I've done it for almost 20 years and see many of these a/c to this day and not a problem.

The Stay Brite acts almost like a flux.

Go Bucks

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  to answer your question, yes. you can silver solder over a soft soldered joint. we have done it many times to fix a soldered joint leak. the issue is you need to burn off the solder before the silver will stick.

the one advantage is you don't have to take the fitting apart to clean and flux.

now keep in mind that this was new construction not service work.

also never on a brass valve or fitting.

from the late 80's most of our mains were silver soldered as we t-drilled our lines.

rick.
                  Thanks rick of 2007 I predict a little Angel named Pheobe will change Your life for ever! TAKE HER FISHING WITH BEN AND HIS ANGELS ! PAPA
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                  X