Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which oxy acetlyne rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • which oxy acetlyne rig

    Looking for a new one. Any thoughts on any particular brand?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

  • #2
    Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

    Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Looking for a new one. Any thoughts on any particular brand?
    what will you use it for? I like smith equipment

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

      I really like my Prest-O-Lite. I soldered with my B-tanks for years and thought the guys who used oxy/acetylene were a bunch of fairies. Since I made the switch a year and a half ago, I'll never go back.

      http://www.esabna.com/webcatalog/sho...&GID=53&CID=10

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: which oxy acetylene rig

        I am guessing you talking cutting torch, or at least cutting torch compatible,

        I use Smith Equipment, I like them becasue they mix in the head of the cutting tip and not in the torch it self,
        I use Propane for cutting, (they use a different tip for LP and acetylene)

        My son has a Smith set up on his truck he is a Scraper, (recycles scrap metals) I have 3 Smith torches, (set up, and torches or accessories for two or three more),

        suggest the heavy duty units, the gages are larger and can handle the volumes of fuels easier, and more consistent, the medium duty units are good all around units as well (I use one for nearly 30 years on the farm here, and have built and repaired many many things).

        we have two units that are the medium duty (one is old and takes the SC heads and one takes the MC, heads) and two jsut cutting torches and one of the heavy duty units, the last three take the SC heads, (the body's and tips and accessories), of the medium duty units and the heavy duty units are not interchangeable).

        another Plus on the Smith Equipment is the life time warranty, and they do honor it, (yes they send it in),

        I like the ease to switch between LP and acetylene with the Smith units, (note: the normal hose is not rated for LP, "T" grade is recomended),

        (many like Victor units), and there good units, (I have one set of Victor gages and there very nice, and have used Victor units)

        (one of the torch sets my son won in a cutting torch contest he entered at a welding supply place, they had a 2 1/2 shaft and who ever could cut it clean off the quickest of the entire day won the torch set), I think he did it in under 2 seconds, He was working as a welder at the time).

        I think most welding shops do use Victor brand of equipment (at lest in our area).

        A lot is like the argument of which truck is better, and it is person preference.
        I got started with Smith equipment, and keep the line when I upgraded or expanded because of some interchangeability aspects, of the equipment. tips mostly.


        Acetylene (some) think it makes a nicer cut, I may self can not tell any difference, I do think the preheat is a little longer with propane but the cutting is done with the oxygen not the fuel gas, (in my opinion propane is safer than acetylene), and much cheaper at least for me.

        Get the large Oxygen tanks, there all heavy, but the cost to refill is nearly the same or just a few bucks different for each size up, but nearly double the volume of the oxygen for each progressive size.
        also check out the leasing or buying, pros and cons, of acquiring the tanks.
        I lease the tanks, (same cost as the purchase of the tank) but no fees for re certifying the tanks or hydro testing, and if I choose to they well buy back the lease, and they trade the tanks, (if I own the tanks I would have to leave it and come back in a few days to pick it up after they fill it),
        but each company may do there own thing, so check it out before jumping in to a tank lease or buy.

        the only draw back of of LP is that you can not easily or properly weld with it, the heat is not there and if you go to an oxidizing flame it will oxidize the steel your trying to weld, acetylene welds much easier, but the truth is most very seldom use a torch to weld with, LP brazes very nicely, and heats well. The only process I find LP incompatible for is welding, and torch welding is usly not the way one wants to weld something,

        http://www.smithequipment.com/
        Last edited by BHD; 09-14-2007, 12:06 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: which oxy acetylene rig

          the size of the tip is what determines the thickness of the metal you can cut, (it is the size of the oxygen jet basicly)
          as you will see that most will say something like will cut steel 1/16" through 6" or so, and when you get the torch you will discover it will not cut much over 1/2 with out a lot of messing around, more than likely a kit will come out with a #1 tip, which is good for about 1/2" thickness.

          If you need to cutter thicker you would need to change the tip to a larger size.

          also the pressure of the Oxygen is important to get a clean cut,
          Last edited by BHD; 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: which oxy acetylene rig

            Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I am guessing you talking cutting torch, or at least cutting torch compatible,

            I use Smith Equipment, I like them becasue they mix in the head of the cutting tip and not in the torch it self,
            I use Propane for cutting, (they use a different tip for LP and acetylene)

            My son has a Smith set up on his truck he is a Scraper, (recycles scrap metals) I have 3 Smith torches, (set up, and torches or accessories for two or three more),

            suggest the heavy duty units, the gages are larger and can handle the volumes of fuels easier, and more consistent, the medium duty units are good all around units as well (I use one for nearly 30 years on the farm here, and have built and repaired many many things).

            we have two units that are the medium duty (one is old and takes the SC heads and one takes the MC, heads) and two jsut cutting torches and one of the heavy duty units, the last three take the SC heads, (the body's and tips and accessories), of the medium duty units and the heavy duty units are not interchangeable).

            another Plus on the Smith Equipment is the life time warranty, and they do honor it, (yes they send it in),

            I like the ease to switch between LP and acetylene with the Smith units, (note: the normal hose is not rated for LP, "T" grade is recomended),

            (many like Victor units), and there good units, (I have one set of Victor gages and there very nice, and have used Victor units)

            (one of the torch sets my son won in a cutting torch contest he entered at a welding supply place, they had a 2 1/2 shaft and who ever could cut it clean off the quickest of the entire day won the torch set), I think he did it in under 2 seconds, He was working as a welder at the time).

            I think most welding shops do use Victor brand of equipment (at lest in our area).

            A lot is like the argument of which truck is better, and it is person preference.
            I got started with Smith equipment, and keep the line when I upgraded or expanded because of some interchangeability aspects, of the equipment. tips mostly.


            Acetylene (some) think it makes a nicer cut, I may self can not tell any difference, I do think the preheat is a little longer with propane but the cutting is done with the oxygen not the fuel gas, (in my opinion propane is safer than acetylene), and much cheaper at least for me.

            Get the large Oxygen tanks, there all heavy, but the cost to refill is nearly the same or just a few bucks different for each size up, but nearly double the volume of the oxygen for each progressive size.
            also check out the leasing or buying, pros and cons, of acquiring the tanks.
            I lease the tanks, (same cost as the purchase of the tank) but no fees for re certifying the tanks or hydro testing, and if I choose to they well buy back the lease, and they trade the tanks, (if I own the tanks I would have to leave it and come back in a few days to pick it up after they fill it),
            but each company may do there own thing, so check it out before jumping in to a tank lease or buy.

            the only draw back of of LP is that you can not easily or properly weld with it, the heat is not there and if you go to an oxidizing flame it will oxidize the steel your trying to weld, acetylene welds much easier, but the truth is most very seldom use a torch to weld with, LP brazes very nicely, and heats well. The only process I find LP incompatible for is welding, and torch welding is usly not the way one wants to weld something,

            http://www.smithequipment.com/
            now here's a man that gets down to the brass tacks. if a torch holds up to farm use you have to know it's good. very informative post

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

              I have a victor right now, I only need it to braze refrigerant lines
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                I have a victor right now, I only need it to braze refrigerant lines
                this is what I use for ac work. c tips direct heat all around pipe not like the "mile long flame" on standard torch. torch handle is small and light great in tight places. hoses small and very flexible. and it heats FAST I love this torch.

                http://www.smithequipment.com/produc...ges/page12.pdf

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                  bill where have you been all of my life, i am a tool addict and have never seen a rig that nice. hopefully i can find a local rep
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                    Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                    bill where have you been all of my life, i am a tool addict and have never seen a rig that nice. hopefully i can find a local rep
                    here is some more must haves.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                      How do you like the digital manifold? I use the jb 4 valve manifold, forget the number right now.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                        [QUOTE=gear junkie;93977]How do you like the digital manifold? I use the jb 4 valve manifold, forget the number right now.[/QUOT]

                        it is real nice not to have to convert temps & pressures. it is very accurate and the bar graph is great for checking expansion valves. as for the 4 valve manifold it came with the gauges. I never pull a vacuum through gauge sets anyway so it's capped off.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                          What do you use? Ritchie super evac manifold?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                            have the fluke meter and psychometer, but will not go with digital guages. too fragile and you loose the display if in direct hot sun.
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: which oxy acetlyne rig

                              Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              What do you use? Ritchie super evac manifold?
                              off the unit I use C & D valve core removal tools with 1/4 turn ball valves connected to 1/4" x 12" long vacuum hoses, to brass flared tee, to 3/8" x 36" long vacuum hose, to 3 cfm jb vacuum pump with isolation valve. for vacuum gauge I use my trusty old jb analog micron gauge.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X