X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you check charge?

How many guys out there use superheat/subcool to check charge? Or do you use 75/220 or the personal favorite "beer can cold" method
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: How do you check charge?

sorry i dont do service
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      How many guys out there use superheat/subcool to check charge? Or do you use 75/220 or the personal favorite "beer can cold" method
      on new systems I weight it in, this is the most accurate way to charge. on existing systems I use superheat or subcooling.

Comment

Same here Bill. If the ductwork is remotely close to being sized right I'll weigh it in. Most of the time the sticker on the unit that notes the factory charge, is right. Ive run across some Junkitrols that stated a number 3lbs less than what was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
          Same here Bill. If the ductwork is remotely close to being sized right I'll weigh it in. Most of the time the sticker on the unit that notes the factory charge, is right. Ive run across some Junkitrols that stated a number 3lbs less than what was needed.
          How does the duct design dictate the charge? I'm glad to see we're doing it right. The hacks around here is the "beer can cold" method.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            How does the duct design dictate the charge? I'm glad to see we're doing it right. The hacks around here is the "beer can cold" method.
            you need very close to 400 cfm per ton on standard units. you can sometimes if your in a pinch slighty improve performance on units with improper air flow by adjusting refrigerant charge.
            it is always much better to correct air flow and charge correctly

Comment

im all about superheat and subcool. i think it is by far the most accurat, but the most time comsuming. by switching from weighing in i have noticed a diff on freformance, especially due to unnaccurate factory charges.
              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

For instance if you have a 3 ton system and ductwork sized for a ton and a half you will have low indoor airflow which will likely show up as a low superheat/high subcooling.

Comment

Makes perfect sense, never even occured to me. Learned something new tonight.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

it wil throw off your readings which is the whole purpouse, that would be too big of a gap to have a proper system. ultimitly if you have 50 degree air coming out of your registers your cooking with gas as they say
                    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                    X