X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klenk snips

I saw we were talking about snips so I'm starting this one so I don't get the other off track. Try Klenk's sometime, better than anything I've used, haven't tried the lennox's yet. I got turned on to these by a friend whose been a tinner for about 25 years.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Klenk snips

I've used Klenks before. The journeyman who taught me the sheetmetal trade had an old pair of greens. The were definately top shelf snips.

Its Wiss all the way for me. They arent great by any means, but they are cheap, readily available, and its what I'm used to. I go through about 3-4 pairs of reds a year. They are the best for me ergonomically. I'm speaking of course of the M1R, and M2R. Not the little girl offset snips.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      Not the little girl offset snips.
      do you mean because the bottom jaw brakes off when fed a tough seam or the users? If it's the latter I beg to differ, I have found that straight snips can be rather can opener like in tight places. I use all kinds of snips depending on what and where I have to cut.

Comment

Wiss offsets are poorly made. If I didn't have klenks then I would use midwest.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by BILLG View Post
          do you mean because the bottom jaw brakes off when fed a tough seam or the users?
          I know several people who carry nothing but the offsets because of the compound cutting leverage and the fact that they dont know how to properly hold a normal pair of snips. Hence the term, 'little girls'. These limpwrists couldnt follow a line if their life depended on it.

I've never thought about the offsets being better in tighter places. I've never used a pair, but I always figured just the opposite. I might have to start looking for a decent set.

What I really want is a pair of snips that are a scaled down version. If someone could make a pair that is about half the normal length that would sure help out. In the winter when housing slows down most of my contractors start finishing basements. Its fairly easy to cut a takeoff in the top of an existing duct providing you have a full 14 1/2 inches between the joists. But every now and then you end up with one in a narrow pocket that is a real PITA. A small set of snips would sure be handy.

Comment

Ruudacguy,

I know "Cresent" make a 6 in pair of tin snips, but they are not the compound action type like a "wiss".

Regards,

Comment

compound cutting leverage 'little girls'.

I hate to rain on your parade but m1r & m2r snips are compound leverage.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...c=037103580122

Comment

quality pays. i use my snips allot, everyday allot. i carried weiss up untill about a year ago. they are cheap, work marginally well and when you replace them every few weeks you dont really care. then i bouht a pair of husky offsets. a fair bit more and found it took a good couple of days to get comfortable with them. i will never go back the straight snips but allway carry a straight pair for some tighter corner cutting. the stanley offstes are the same as the husky, i almost wonder if they make them for husky? but the new lennox ones are amazing.foe a left, a right, a straight, and a set of 5 blade crimper they set me back 100 bucks, expensive but not above average. i love these snips. i put together s snip showdown at a wholesaler bbq last week and we had them all. from weiss to klein and allot of eurpean companies and they lennox ones came in ahead once you factor on cost. i loved the kleins but i wear mine out way to quick to keep buying them.
                how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

malco, need i say more??

http://www.malcoproducts.com/products/snips/index.asp
                  Last edited by oldslowchevy; 09-20-2007, 10:04 PM. Reason: added a link
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

malco is not all that it is cracked uo to be they are just more common not better. i think that they make poor bending bars when you compare them to some of the others
                    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by BILLG View Post
                      I hate to rain on your parade but m1r & m2r snips are compound leverage.

www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/cf_files/model_detail3.cfm?upc=037103580122
                      Looks like you used your little girl offsets to snip my post up.

Comment

Looks like you used your little girl offsets to snip my post up.
                        how did you guess?

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                          I have been using malco's andy snips and circumference ruler for 30+ years, and love them.

started using their aviation max 2000 snips. I really like the hard plastic handles, they don't twist around or fall off like some other snips I have used.

this is for your amusement osc. my first foray into hood ornament design.

saw this truck at a job site and could not resist.

Comment

A lot of the persons(tinners) on the job site like using Klenks and Midwest for cutting s and drive ducts. I personally like Midwest also.

Comment

Klenks are the best! I see someone said they like wiss and use 2-3 pairs of reds a year! You may be using them wrong!
                              You should try Klenks, I just retired my last set of greens they were 17 years old! I just purchased a new set!
                              I have been a Tinner for 27 yrs! Good Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X