X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Filters

I recently purchased a new 2300 sq ft home with 2 trane a/c units. I replaced the cheap dust filters with a bettter style of pleated filter. The humidity in the house went up to an unacceptable level. The installing contractor said I should only use the cheap filters. Is that true?

Re: Dust Filters

Originally posted by Gary T. Heller View Post
    I recently purchased a new 2300 sq ft home with 2 trane a/c units. I replaced the cheap dust filters with a bettter style of pleated filter. The humidity in the house went up to an unacceptable level. The installing contractor said I should only use the cheap filters. Is that true?

thats really odd, it should be the other way around. using more restrictive air filters should drop the coil temp and remove more moisture from the air, unless it is freezing up. how is it cooling?

Comment

The units are in Arizona and this was in August at the peak of our humid monsoon. The unit wasn't freezing up but it wouldn't do better than a 10 degree split with 66 degree supply air. I assumed it was low on charge but the contractor replaced the metering device. The monsoon was over by then and it is working fine. I think I will re-install the pleated filters today.

I haven't been in the A/C industry for about 10 years but this was actually the second contractor to recommend the cheap dust filters over the pleated filters. I thought maybe the newer contractor grade units were coming out with fans that weren't powerful enough to overcome any type of restriction.

Comment

Gary

Were the OE filters about 1 inch thick fiberglass type? If yes, sometimes the 1 inch thick pleated media filters really are just too restrictive. A good way to fix this and have good filtering would be to have a sheet metal man install holders so you can use 4 inch thick pleated media filters and also check their restriction ratings. For now you might check your blower motor connections to be sure when running in the AC mode that it is running at highest speed.

If you have a clamp-on Ammeter you might check running current of the blower motor with the media filters installed and then do a quick check with them removed. Also you could try a very simple test where you feel the air blowing out of a register and do a fast A/B test with and without the media filters in place.

You might also just try some other brand-type of the same size pleated media filters and see if things work better.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Woussko, A/C isnt always set to run on the highest blower speed. For instance a house might have a 3 ton a/c matched up with a 100k btu furnace. That 100k btu furnace might have a 4 ton drive capable of moving 1600 cfm if the ductwork is sized right, but a 3 ton a/c only requires 1200cfm to work properly. There you would have to refer to the blower performace data supplied with the furnace to determine which speed is closest to 1200cfm. Thats if the ductwork is sized to handle 1200cfm at a reasonable depression. Reasonable, on a residential system is .1" w.c., or less. I size all of my new houses to .07 on the supply and .05 on the return. If the ductwork is extrememly undersized cfm can be calculated by measuring temperature rise while running the furnace on different blower speeds.

Gary, I think there might be some coincidences, or something else going on with your systems.

Comment

Rudd

Very true about not always running blower on highest speed. I was thinking about his case where it seems that a filter change caused trouble. It would be great if he could measure air velocity both with the O E and the pleated media filters.

Comment

Working...
              X