X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding rosebud tips?

Learned something very interesting today; in the NCF(seabees) that rosebud tips are prohibited due to the fact that they explode. This has been around for ten years I learned from 2 welders. Does this have any merit? Has anyone heard or experience this?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Exploding rosebud tips?

i have had this happen to me , not to the full extream of an "explosion" but shattering very violently. this is due to a couple of factors

1 overheating of the tip
    2 extended period of use
    3 rappid cooling

i used a tip for about 30 mins straight, with a reg that would not put out enough perssure to keep the flame far enough off of the tip, once done i was holding the torch ond boom. it was an extreamy cold day out -30 celciuse without the windchill factor and snowing very wet and heavy. the tip had multiple fractors with shrapned flying . thank goodness i still have my right eye, a peice hit my glassed and put a deep groove in the lense.

like i said it was not a gaint explosion with flames and that sort but something to think about with all tips
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Hi gear,I still weld,But I was full time ,at it, years ago. I was a cert. welder out of the pile bucks union. I have a few rose buds and thery're great tools. Make sure You are using anti flash valves on hoses, keep pressure in ranges.
      Shut off oxy 1 st. Leave it to the Navy to outlaw a great tool. How are They doing their bending these days?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Hi gear,I still weld,But I was full time ,at it, years ago. I was a cert. welder out of the pile bucks union. I have a few rose buds and thery're great tools. Make sure You are using anti flash valves on hoses, keep pressure in ranges.
        Shut off oxy 1 st. Leave it to the Navy to outlaw a great tool. How are They doing their bending these days?
        I had to ask as I'm not a welder, but I was told they use a cutter head and without pressing the trigger. Remember that in the Navy, safety is the top priority and if there's a product that MIGHT be unsafe, then it won't be used if there's an alternative. When I learned to braze it was with a rosebud.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I know,Was a helo Mech in th corps. I'M toolaholic on weld talk forum hobart site. please come over .GREAT crew there ,also.please post this there ! Guys will get a kick out of this. Kevin
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The key to running a rosebud tip, is use enough presure. If you run low on presure or volume the tip will overheat, and flash back.

Comment

Working...
            X