X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced over condenser!?

Going to check a call tomorrow about an ac unit. I thought the evap was icing over but after talking with the customer's husband, I found out the condenser was icing up within 2 hours. It's straight ac, haven't seen it yet so the details are sketchy. Any preliminary thoughts?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Iced over condenser!?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Going to check a call tomorrow about an ac unit. I thought the evap was icing over but after talking with the customer's husband, I found out the condenser was icing up within 2 hours. It's straight ac, haven't seen it yet so the details are sketchy. Any preliminary thoughts?
    2 most common are, low air flow (dirty filter or coil blocked return grill). or low charge.

Comment

Originally posted by BILLG View Post
      2 most common are, low air flow (dirty filter or coil blocked return grill). or low charge.
      I know this for icing up evaporator, but a condenser? Find out today more details and will keep you guys posted.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Is this straight A/C or a Heat pump?

Comment

Straight AC as far as I know. Just a thought, if it was a heat pump with a very low charge, could the low pressure cause the reversing valve to switch to the heating mode causing the outside coil to ice up?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My guess is, it is a heat pump and they didnt know it. The h/o probably just installed their own el-cheapo stat and wired it up wrong. Either that, or their description of what is happening, sucks.

Comment

Fixed the unit today, this is what I found:
              1. It was a Trane heat pump with fixed orifice.
              2. Low charge- my pressures were 25/80!!! Superheat was 65. The factory charge was 4lb 6oz. I put 3lb 6oz in before everything came to normal.
              3. Outdoor unit was dirty from grass being mowed around it.
              4. Condensate was plugged up.
              5. They were using the top efficencey filter causing the indoor coil to ice up.
              6. Schrader valve was leaking from the true suction schrader valve. Didn't have a cap on the end. I replaced all three just to make sure.

Thanks for all the help guys. And no I did not charge 150-300 dollars for the refrigerent.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Well done,

Also, glad you did not screw over the homeowner for the refridgerant.

I am sure when they have problems in the future, you will be the first to call.

Regards,

Comment

Wanted to add; this was for a church, they paid 4000 for a new evaporator and the hack never wanted to come back to fix it right. What a shame. To fix all that took me 1 1/2 hrs. I hope that 4000 was worth it to him when he goes to the "hot spot". I'm not a religous man but you never know.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

4K for a new "evaporator", thats steep, I dont care what part of the country you are in.

Glad you got it fixed up for them.

regards,

Comment

Well $430 of that $4000 was for 4.6 pounds of R-22. The other $3570 was probably just the cost of the evaporator. I'm guessing he did the job for free, so he should be plenty safe when the afterlife calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                        Well $430 of that $4000 was for 4.6 pounds of R-22. The other $3570 was probably just the cost of the evaporator. I'm guessing he did the job for free, so he should be plenty safe when the afterlife calls.

No arguments here, Some things are just plain "WRONG" no matter how you spin it!

Rest east tonight, you deserve it.

REgards,

Comment

Gear

You did well and will be remembered for not ripping them off. Someday you'll be rewarded.

Comment

Working...
                          X