bread-heat-toast trick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bread-heat-toast trick

To rid your copper pipe of water before soldering i heard you can stick bread in the pipe then once your done heat the pipe where the bread was turning it to ash and its all set. does this work and/or is it a smart thing to do?
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

Re: bread-heat-toast trick

Originally posted by camcroteau View Post
    To rid your copper pipe of water before soldering i heard you can stick bread in the pipe then once your done heat the pipe where the bread was turning it to ash and its all set. does this work and/or is it a smart thing to do?
    The bread part is true but not the rest. Once your done soldering your line you hope the bread will desolve and flush out of the system.

Mark

BTW: Don't use wheat bread, breads with seeds or any crust.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

about 1 week after i met my wife she said that her fathers out side hose spicket was dripping and asked if i could fix it . so to get in good with her dad i said yes .the valve that was to shut it off did not holed so i asked her for some bread and she asked if i wanted some meat on it and i said no 1 with butter and 1 with nothing on it . when she came back and gave me the bread the rest of the family was there to see what i was going to do with the bread .i took the crust off the one without the butter and put it in the pipe and put on a new valve . then she asked what the bread with the butter was for , i said to eat

from that point on i was in with the family
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I had a mobile home park awhile ago with a broken valve, had to replace the shut off, it was in the laundry room, about 6" off the ground, all 300 plus mobile homes were siphoning back through this line, making it impossible to solder, of course, no jet sweat, so I had my helper go get a loaf of bread.

So, once he returned, we ripped all crust off, white bread only, no seeds or anything, and began packing the pipe, after almost a loaf, I was able to solder the valve on. Once the water was back on, before soldering anymore, I opened the valve and blew all the bread into the eve of the building ( roll a nice ball in the palm of your hands)

Thats not the first time bread had saved me, but now, I carry a full kit of jet sweats on my van, all the way to 2"

The bread does not turn to ash, it gets mushy, but never to ash, now, if anyone is working on fire sprinkler lines, DO NOT USE BREAD! very bad idea, you can figure out why
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by camcroteau View Post
          bread will work in a pinch. will not hold pressure, but will keep the nuisance water from dripping. as other stated use the dough not the crust.

you need to properly flush the bread out. otherwise the toilets, laundry and dishwasher will plug.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Am I the only one to remember we have had this conversation before?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=bread

Just took a second look--I thought my young mind had a good memory. . . guess it was my old mind, cause none of you were members yet.
            Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 10-04-2007, 01:17 AM.
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              Am I the only one to remember we have had this conversation before?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ighlight=bread

Just took a second look--I thought my young mind had a good memory. . . guess it was my old mind, cause none of you were members yet.
              joey the post is from jan of 07. only robert was missing.

there is always repeats of this stuff.

no go to bed and turn off the lights set the sleep timer on the t.v.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm curious,do you two sit sids-by-side while you type or are your computers in opposite ends of the house?

Mark

Comment

LOL. We are side-by-side on laptops! Rick always has an eye on me

Except, he typed this after I went to sleep. He wouldn't have been so bold while I was awake.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

LOL. We are side-by-side on laptops! Rick always has an eye on me
                    not on you, just on what you write

now she is at work and i'm home for the next 15 minutes

night time is when we have the posting wars

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      not on you, just on what you write

now she is at work and i'm home for the next 15 minutes

night time is when we have the posting wars

rick.
                      Sounds like you guys are playing battleship. You sunk my battleship!!
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We are side-by-side on laptops! Rick always has an eye on me
                        Please tell me this is not while sitting on the his & her water closet combo.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Sounds like you guys are playing battleship. You sunk my battleship!!
                          LOL! Is that anything like him parking his Cadillac in my garage?
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

LOL! Is that anything like him parking his Cadillac in my garage?
                            Way too much info!!!!!
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Cadillac??, I thought someone said Rick had a MG "midget"
                              Last edited by biscuit; 10-04-2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: cant spell

Comment

Working...
                              X