X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weekend calls crack me up

Im on call this weekend....just love the things people say on a saturday night or sunday morning..

Oh it was leaking (cloged condensate line) all week but I hoped it would clear up.....

The fan (blower fan) sound bad all week, but I was hopeing it would not go out...it did..here is the weekend rate

Why do u all charge more to comeout on sunday morning?

Ok Ill be there in 30 mins....but were right down the street from ur shop....but lady I dont live at the shop I have a home.

Open condensor see burnt wires...home owner standing over your back....humm so u think thats why it was triping the breaker?

U sure its not under warrenty...we just had it istalled a few years ago......look at date on unit...This HVAC unit installed by Mr. Carrier..june 1875.

Well my Brother..uncle..aunt...cousin does AC repairs in (pick a state 1000 miles from u)....and he said he can fix it for $20. or he said it only needs freon.

So its realy broke? Nope its runnign great...u just called me out here at 8pm on a sat night to hang out with u.

Please add too the list

Re: weekend calls crack me up

I only pushed the reset button once (oil burner). it worked fine before you were here (heat exchanger bad). but you just fixed it (totally unrelated problem). can't you just clean units while you are here (10:00 at night service call). my heat was out all day (calls just before I get in bed!!!!).

Comment

You've got to be kidding me,

All the outspoken service plumbers here with stories and this ones going to slide through.

Come-on,Let's hear the good stuff on human nature and it's need for greed and non compassion

Comment

"It is only a 5min job"

Comment

"How did roots get the line?" (trees next to the line)

No matter how much you drop the price, you get "I just can't see why it costs so much"

"can't you just fix the leaking water heater?"

"I have a leak from my ceiling" You then ask what's in the attic and they say the evaporator but it's a leak so they call a plumber.

You snake the line and pull out condoms. The parents look at each other saying it's not theirs. I ask if they have teenagers and "He's only 16 and such a good boy. He would never have sex. He's waiting till he gets married" is the reply.

My personal favorite-Late saturday night and you get a call with the AC out and you tell the owner you can do them job 1st thing in the morning. They beg and plead and say how they have a 2 yr old with bad asthma. Feeling bad for them you cut your son's bedtime story short and go out to the house. You see the 2 yr old with asthma sitting in the room with at least 5 people smoking but they're worried about their 2 yr old's asthma.

You then notice the thermostat is off. Of course you asked them about the thermostat before you came out. "It was on 15 minutes ago" and then you give them the bill for coming out saturday night at 1030 and then you get "all you did was turn on the thermostat, why does it cost so much?" This has happened to me more than once.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

New customer, never met before

"We don't get our SS check till next wednesday, can we use the coupon and pay you then?"

Another

"You installed 3 lav faucets, why can't I use a coupon for each one?"

Another

"I'm calling about your "Free Aerator" and wanted to stop by and pick it up." ???

Another

"How much is it if I have everything there and remove the old one?"

Another

"I have about a foot of copper pipe, couple fittings and a valve that needs to be sweated, it's already together, just needs to be soldered. Might take about 10 minutes tops. How much do you charge for sweating two couplings and a valve?"

Another

"I'm looking for alternatives to fixing my drain problem and I've been told that the drain is beyond repair. Can you tell me what you would charge to fix it?" < WTH???

Another

"I need someone to come over and give me a free estimate on my water heater needing replaced." << I hang up on these calls

Another

"Yeah I was referred to you by so n so and they told me that you give senior citizens discounts, is that true and can I use your coupon in the newspaper along with it?" <<< I play these out like a fiddle when they come at me like this. I make a point of frustrating them by asking off the wall questions, tons of them and don't stop until they want to get off the phone with me. LMAO!!!!

Another

"I got your name from so n so and I don't have a lot of money and my son is in a wheelchair. I need to know how much you charge to put in a garbage disposal and I'm buying the disposal. I know how you guys are about materials and making money off stuff so I'll have it here. I need to know what you will charge me to install my garbage disposal, no parts...I got it covered."

You know what I did with this call, not even worth putting it in print.

Another

"Somebody said you charge like $150 to replace a water heater. It's only 2 fittings up top and a electric wire connection. How soon can you come out?" I tell the customer I'll be right there and never show up. They call back, I keep telling them I'm on my way. LOL!!!

"You came highly recommended from my neighbor and I'm retired and on a fixed income. I have this drain in my basement that has been clogging for years and it won't drain now. I've been given prices from 4 different plumbers and all of them were too high. I want you to come give me a free estimate of what it would cost to fix my drain right. I checked with the BBB before I called you and it says you have a satisfactory rating and I'm trusting you to treat me right." My response always to these >>>> "Well, that's mighty kind of ya mam but I'm 4-6 months backed up on work (not true, just a couple weeks most times) and I suuuuuuuure wish I could help you but I'm just not available.

"But can you still come out and give me a free estimate?" "Sorry mam but I only give estimates once a month and yesterday was the day I committed myself to 8 estimates, we'll have to schedule next month if ya like?"

__________________________________________________ ______________

Some of my "replies"

"You need a handyman, not a plumber. If you want a good deal go to Big Lots."

"Funny you say that, I just broke my leg while we was talking. Gotta go" CLICK

"So I'm supposed to feel sorry for you because you got the same problems I do with money?"

"Wow, that's the first time anyone's ever told me that I'm expensive."

"At this time you are not qualified to meet our guidelines for service" << This one pisses off the masses, try it.

"It's amazing how well you try to find me after I sent your bounced check to the county attorney's office! Of course we can meet up so you can pay me!"

And Finally

"I called you back. It's not my fault you don't have call-waiting and my job isn't to chase a call you feel is at your convenience. You're wasting my time."

If anyone hasn't figured out by now, I'm very blunt in my rhetoric in person. The customer isn't always right and everyone knows that. As many customers I lose in this fashion, I've already qualified them as being trouble customers, they deserve my attitude because I haven't done anything to them, it's their actions towards me that warranted the above responses. Respect being the key word towards your hometown plumber.

I still get great enjoyment because I won't take crap from them. That carrot they are dangling over my head is found with the next phone call that comes into the office.

NEXT!!!
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 10-18-2007, 12:04 AM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Dunbar, do you have a brother from California whose a plumbing foreman?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Dunbar, do you have a brother from California whose a plumbing foreman?

LOL! No...why?
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  You snake the line and pull out condoms. The parents look at each other saying it's not theirs. I ask if they have teenagers and "He's only 16 and such a good boy. He would never have sex. He's waiting till he gets married" is the reply.
                  belive it or not that happened to my friend, i still laugh thinking from the time he was 16 to now 18 years later that he some how forgot the way he was at 16.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    LOL! No...why?
                    I don't know, you kinda remind me of someone.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have a comment that goes for some of the customers houses out here,

Sir, you don't need a plumber, you need a wrecking ball
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

i had a call on a weekend 1 time

(Customer) Hello, i was calling to see if we could rent your snake to clear our line?

(Me) Well, we are a sewer and drain cleaning company, why dont i come out and clear the line for you?

(Customer) Well how much would that be?

(Me) Do you have outside access?

(Customer) Yes

(Me) Ok then normally at the outside access $190

(Customer) How much would it cost me to rent your machine

(Me) $190 (giggling softly)

(Customer) How long is that for

(Me) Till you clear the blockage

(Customer) Ok ill just rent your machine

Needless to say i told them i dont rent out my machine for insurance reasons, and said i can clear it in a professional, timely manner, and they saaid they will find someone that rents them..lol...they would rather have paid the 190 to rent the machine then pay me the 190 to clean the line LOLOLOL...True Story
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                          I have a comment that goes for some of the customers houses out here,

Sir, you don't need a plumber, you need a wrecking ball

there have been times that i have had to fix things in a costomers house where i would not take there money, and when they ask why not, i simply say" becuase you need the money for some cleaning supplys." that for some reason that never seems to go over very well, but oh well
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

ME: "Look, I can't go out there right now, it's sunday night and I'm only calling to see if you'd like to schedule a time" -

Cus: "But I really need this repaired immediately, it's an emergency, can't you please come out here tonight?...and how much will it cost?"

Me: "It'll cost $325, I think I can squeeze you in for the morning."

Cus: "Can I call you back? ... I need to compare prices"
                            -----------------------------
                            Had a woman call me last week asking me to drive there for a free estimate...told her I charge to go out for any reason...she tells me "If you come out for free I'll refer you to all my friends and family"
                            I asked her: "Will they expect me to travel for free also?"
                            ------------------------------
                            "How much to pull the permits if we do the work?"
                            ------------------------------
                            Some of you might think Dunbar has a dark approach, but as a self employed plumber I fully understand where he's coming from.
                            I'm courteous/polite on the phone, I treat existing customers like I'd want to be treated.
                            When someone is obviously bargain hunting, my attitude changes

Comment

To people who call and dont even say hello but straight to "How much etc?...."

"You couldnt afford me."

Ive said it before, you can't please a tightarse.

Sympathies to all my fellow trades who receive these type of calls.

Comment

Working...
                              X