roof saftey help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof saftey help

speaking of roof saftey i need ideas on how to tie off on a roof that has no anchor points. most here dont unless they are 5 years old or newer, but were up there in the ice and snow and its scarry. the idea of walking up a roof tying off then walking back up to the peak in clipping and walking down is crazy to me. the farthest distances are walked untied. please help' need ideas asap we had our first snowfall last week, i want to get my butt in gear.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Re: roof saftey help

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/fallprotection/index.html

http://www.osha.gov/doc/outreachtrai.../subpartm.html
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

not that i am a roofer but i have been on icy roofs, this is how we did it in maryland.

go to the oppiste side of the house you are working on and remove a few piesies of sofit from the center of the house, an atach a "momting point" on the rafter, then tie off to that point and toss the line over the peak to the other side, then come up the other side of the house an tie off to that line. do this for how ever many people you have up there and can do it safely.

this is how i did it, there may be a better way but like i siad i am no roofer i just did what i had to do, then i was off of there, but i can see 4-5 people up there getting tangled up there like that though.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

interesting ideas with the soffit. one i will look at tommorow, i wonder how the customer would feel about it though

Comment

you replace the sofit once your done lol
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Re: roof safety help

what about a stationary object on the opposite side of the house, a fence post, or tree or something similar, If you use a vehicle disable it so it can not move until you want it to. (there was a story about a guy who tie off on the bumper of his wife's car and all was well until she decided to move it.)
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

allot of the roof peaks run front to back not side to side. so there os little room on the sides of the houses, noting large other than the nabour house. i tried a fence last week and pulled the post out when i fell that was allot more work repairing the fence

Comment

Be careful using a car bumper as they aren't hard to pull off. If you have a drawbar for trailor towing that should be a good bit stronger and easier to tie to. I would try for a good tree if there are any you can use.

Comment

I had asked something similar a while back, look into the archives and I'm sure you'll find it. If all you need to do is work at one spot (snaking through the vent, etc.) you can get a looong extention ladder and lay it flat on the roof and use it to support yourself. I see alot of guys do that here due to the crazy sloped roofes we have. I saw one where he fastened to 2x12 to the top of the ladder so he had a ledge he could work from.

Use this information with understanding that you take this at your own risk.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why only ropes, why not use roof jacks, if this place has asphalt shingles on it, soooooooo much safer. Tar the shingles back down when your done............
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i did not say roof jacks because i don't like to use them on a cold existing roof (he said they already had there frist snow) due to the shingles being very brittle and chip in temp below 40 degrees, that is why i said ropes.
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Well it seems as if everybody is talking ropes, use a torch or a heat gun to warm them up, of course precaution is expected. I have had to do this numerous times, torch works great, no direct flame on the shingles, your only going to warm them up, not have a weenie roast.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

hey now that minght not be such a bad idea there, i sure cant say that i thought of it.
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                            hey now that minght not be such a bad idea there, i sure cant say that i thought of it.
                            Which one, warming the shingles or having a weinie roast in the process

Comment

both........ lol no but a heat gun might be alittle safer up there but you use what you got.
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X