X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruster filter dryer..a common proble in my area

Salt air and people useing well water for sprinkler systems...lots of minarals...makes rusted liquid line dryers a big problem in my area....and a common source of leaks....we try to put them with the airhandler inside when we do installs just to help reduce this....but got to admit its like a little ATM...nice rusted one makes the copany $$ on a regular bases
    Attached Files

Re: ruster filter dryer..a common problem in my area

how long are they lasting

what about putting a good coat of paint on them will it give it a longer life .

now if you need the work then don't paint them but if it is regular customers then it would be a good PR
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Re: ruster filter dryer..a common proble in my area

how long is just a hit or miss thing...sea side (I live near the beach)...last only a few ..3 or 4 yrs then rust out....inland side...depends on if well water is used...we have high sulfer well water...just eats stuff....normaly get around 5 or 6 years without a problem....but IF I got a sstem leaking check the dryer first.

When brazed in..tourch damnageing the paint accelerates the rusting.....touch up painting helps....agina just in may area depends..beach side everything rust....I prefer to put them inside...and explain to customer why....they seem to like that...especialy on new installs.

Comment

An old HVAC guy once said dryers and sightglasses needed to be installed at the condensor but I can't remember why .....anyone?

Comment

The location of a dryer doesn't make a big difference but the sight glass needs to be near the evaporator. You want to see how much liquid the metering device is getting. It's just easier to put it near the condenser.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm by the coast too. I like to refer to the extreme conditions on the coast as "Coastal Rot". I see driers rusted like that all the time. I recently ran across something pretty disturbing. Here are the pic's from the job site. This was the first time I was at this customers house and they said that while they were away from the house the neighbors called 911. The customer told me that the neighbors heard a really loud explosion and when they looked in the backyard there was what appeared to be smoke coming from the a/c. Later on I found out it wasn't smoke, it was oil and little pieces of insulation from the jacket on the compressor. Go figure! Any ideas guys?

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

WOW!!! just WOW

Comment

try using flare connections, the problem is when you burn of the paint during the install.
                --------------------------------------
                http://www.sporlan.com/40-10-5.pdf
                Epoxy coating offers excellent corrosion
                resistance (this is from sporlan web sight.)
                ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

ever seen what dog pee does to a line set or condencer coils???

eats them right up!!!
                  ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Got-Lithium? View Post
                    Any ideas guys?
                    I showed your picture to my AC instructor. He said that the compressor shouldn't be insulated, holds moisture and causes rust. He thinks the accumulator developed a leak and that's what flipped it around. Think of a balloon flopping around after you let go of the end. He's been doing AC for over 40 years and that's the first time he's seen this so good on you for posting this problem.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Junkie, was he just talking about compressors by the ocean, or everywhere? Pretty much all the high end stuff has compressor blankets now.

Comment

I think he was talking about all compressors but take that w/ a grain of salt. He's old school and very smart but sometimes resistant to new technology.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

`we get a lot of serious rust issues with sprinkler water hitting condensors...the well water here is high in sulfer and other stuff...just eats condensors..

MOST maunfactures wont warrenty rust/corrosion btw.

Compressor covers/blankets are pretty common on Trane and maytag...

Comment

if the jacket is tight it won't sweat, just like on insulation on a pipe. the reason for it is higher efficiency that is why some manufacturers tried the high side case for comp instead of low side, with high side case comp doesn't need a jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Got-Lithium? View Post
                              I'm by the coast too. I like to refer to the extreme conditions on the coast as "Coastal Rot". I see driers rusted like that all the time. I recently ran across something pretty disturbing. Here are the pic's from the job site. This was the first time I was at this customers house and they said that while they were away from the house the neighbors called 911. The customer told me that the neighbors heard a really loud explosion and when they looked in the backyard there was what appeared to be smoke coming from the a/c. Later on I found out it wasn't smoke, it was oil and little pieces of insulation from the jacket on the compressor. Go figure! Any ideas guys?

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
                              I've had the Fusite plugs blow out on shorted compressors. Makes a pretty big mess and smells bad.

What happened to the accumulator in the picture? Looks like someone took a can opener to it.

James
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X