So smart, you're stupid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So smart, you're stupid

Respond to a call today that a unit doesn't have heat. The homeowners bought the house 3 months ago and this was first time they turned on the heat. They told me how the previous owner's husband had rewired the unit which was a goodman gaspack. I turned on the heat and the CFM turned on but the compressor never kicked on and nothing came on the gas side. After further investigating, I disconnected the gas control from the circuit board and the CFM turned off and the VFM turned on!

I also noticed how the thermostat was wired with 8 wires and all 8 wires were "used" in the gas pack. 4 hours later and a total rewire job, I had it working again. Talk about a brain crunch. And what did the previous homeowner's husband do for a living? He was an electrical engineer!!
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: So smart, you're stupid

i kinda wonder if he sold the house because he could not get the heat to work? lol and then why would you buy a house with out an inspection??? stange people in the world lol
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

of course he used all the wires...did not one to leave one off

I was doing an install for elect eng....kept asking why circuit board had this componet here....stuff like that we flat told him..dont have a clue..here is the 800 # call and ask them. but heck the guy tiped us both $20 sooo he was not too stupid....if he knew how many corners we cut to get away from him and his ??? he would not have tiped

Comment

Gotta love those engineer types, I think it should be a requirement for them to spend atleast 3 years out in the field working in the trade they are going work as an engineer.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

A retired mechanical engineer I used to know (He moved away) told me about a contest they had a work. The first person to figure out how to get 10 pounds of oatmeal into a cigar box would win $100 cash. He thought about it and came up with a way to cheat where the scale showed the full cigar box to weigh in at 10 pounds 3 ounces. Can you guess what he did? I'll give you a hint. It wasn't pure oatmeal he filled up his cigar box with.

Westcoast, I bet you could really make the young engineers sweat. They go to college and get a fancy piece of paper but they still can't figure how to lace up and tie their workboots.
          Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I had an electrical engineer double the size of his house quite a few years ago. I left his current system in place and installed a completely new one for the addition. He wired up his own a/c unit. Wanna guess where he wired his 220? Right to the 24 volt side of the contactor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
              I had an electrical engineer double the size of his house quite a few years ago. I left his current system in place and installed a completely new one for the addition. He wired up his own a/c unit. Wanna guess where he wired his 220? Right to the 24 volt side of the contactor.
              And how did the work out for him???

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                And how did the (that) work out for him???

Flash ... Poof ... Oh *&^%$#@
                I bet he learned fast from that one.
                Last edited by Woussko; 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Doesn't everyone that sees 24v think it is a misprint?
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                  X