Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to put pellet stove?

Hi there,

We are thinking to buy a pellet stove. But where to put it is still a question to us.

We have a L or T shap 1600sqf ranch with a same shap basement (finished but empty now). there is no door between basement and first floor. On the first floor, the kitchen is in the middle and living room is almost a open space style.

There are three places we can install the pellet stove: basement, front of fireplace and a corner of the living room.

I am in favor of basement because it is easy to install, no change in first floor and we can heating basement also. But I am concerning if we can get enough heat in the first floor if we put the stove downstair.

Does anybody has any experience about this?

thanks,

Re: where to put pellet stove?

I would put it in the area you are in most. One drawback of pellet stoves is they don't move the heat very far. We have 2000sf to heat. This year I put a ceiling fan in over the stove and so far it's making a huge difference.
    having it in an area you spend most of your time also allows you to keep an eye on it so you'll know when your almost out of pellets or if the burn pot is getting dirty.
    Advantage of basement install: The heat will rise to upper floors and keep basement warm. Big advantage if your basement lacks heating and you plan to use it as a living space.
    What kind of stove do you plan to get?
    Self igniting with thermostat?
    Battery back up?
    Plan on burning corn?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
      I would put it in the area you are in most. One drawback of pellet stoves is they don't move the heat very far. We have 2000sf to heat. This year I put a ceiling fan in over the stove and so far it's making a huge difference.
      having it in an area you spend most of your time also allows you to keep an eye on it so you'll know when your almost out of pellets or if the burn pot is getting dirty.
      good input. Do you need to keep the fan always running?
      Advantage of basement install: The heat will rise to upper floors and keep basement warm. Big advantage if your basement lacks heating and you plan to use it as a living space.
      you are right.
      What kind of stove do you plan to get?
      No decision yet, but may be harman or quadra-fire. what's you opinion?
      Self igniting with thermostat?
      yes
      Battery back up?
      may be not
      Plan on burning corn?
      better to have but corn is not easy to get in MA, I heard.
      Last edited by lmei007; 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Locate it close to a big return air grille if possible. Then you can turn your thermostat to "Fan On" and let the blower circulate the warm air throughout the house.

Comment

One other thing to consider for placement is sound. Some units can be quite loud. Most notably the auger noise. My buddy has a Two Harman's, good units but the auger makes way too much noise when they kick on. One is about 4' from the T.V. very annoying. His are 5yrs old so they may have redesigned the augers to be quieter by now.
          Mine is a lopi by Travis industries. I burn between 6-8 tons a year as my primary heat source. Between fan and new insulation in ceiling this should go down. Stove is 4yrs old and so for only had to replace burn pot and rope seal on door. Not bad as running full out all the time is hard on any heating system.

So far I only turn the fan on when I notice the back rooms getting cold but when it gets 10 below I'm sure the fan will be running constant but it should move the heat enough to give the stove a break.

For the price of battery back up ( only 12 hrs) your better off buying a small generator. Endless supply of power for the stove plus you can run a couple of other small things.

I'm not so sure corn is better. corn can not self ignite so the thermostat is useless. In other words it wont turn off and on at certain temps, so it has to run constant. Corn is much more acidic so its harder on the stove and piping.
          Plus as new uses for corn are being used more often(ethanol, upholstery etc..) the price is starting to rise. Two wood pellet mills just opened in Maine. To my knowledge they are not putting out any product yet but when they do the price of pellets should start to go down in this and your area as well.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
          X