Gas furnace question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas furnace question...

there may be other things here. if you shut the gas off to the unit not from the gas valve but the gascock will the ignito spark. if yes you have too high of gas pressure. but it really sounds like you need a new ignitor. dont buy a test plug. it will not work for you and is about the same price as a new ignitor anyway.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      HIS

Let's hope some real HVAC Techs come in here and try to help you.
      I want to give advice on this one, I really do. BUT if something screwed up, the damages can be huge. I'm not talking about a broke wrist from improper snaking or a little water damage. I'm talking about electrocution, burning the house down, type of thing.

Please call someone who knows what they're doing to fix your furnace. $300 is cheap peace of mind.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        I want to give advice on this one, I really do. BUT if something screwed up, the damages can be huge. I'm not talking about a broke wrist from improper snaking or a little water damage. I'm talking about electrocution, burning the house down, type of thing.

Please call someone who knows what they're doing to fix your furnace. $300 is cheap peace of mind.

Very good advice Gear Junkie. I sure would hate for him to have KABOOM at his place. This does need a good tech to check it over. For now please leave both the gas valve closed and power off to the furnace in question.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of the tips and warnings! I finally figured it out. The igniter was bad, so it did need to be replaced. But the main problem was the ignition module. After running some tests with my multimeter, I basically went through a process of elimination until I narrowed it down. I picked up a new module today, and installed it when I got home tonight. Turned the gas and power back on, and it fired right up! Cost of the igniter: $40... Cost of the module: $100... Repairing the problem myself and making the wife happy: PRICELESS
          Thanks again everyone!!!!
          Nick

Comment

Working...
          X