X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Gas Furnace

I just found a used 70000 btu gas furnace for my work shop (2 stall Garage) Where I want to put it will be right next to my chimmeny for my house furnace, water heater and wood burning fireplace. The vent side for the hose furnace is on the same side the garage funace will be. My question, can I vent the garage furnace with the other two? What can I expect when I cut a hole in the cimmeny for the garage furnace. The house is about 50 years old and the outside of the chimmeny is cement block.
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: Install Gas Furnace

The chimney has to be big enough to handle the additional furnace. First thing you need to do is find out how big the chimney is on the inside. Easiest way is get on the roof and measure. Should be a clay liner square or rectangle. I'de be surprised if it were round but it's possible. Then size up all gas appliances (btu ratings) connecting to that chimney. Is it an inside chimney or outside? (3 sides exposed to weather) The appliances need to be connected at different heights and not directly across from one another.

Might just be easier to vent this new furnace right through the roof separately with B vent

Comment

The chimney is on the wall of the garage, so three sides are in the garage. The furnace in the garage would be higher than the other two appliances that are in the basement.
      If I vent through the roof how far from the chimeny does the the B vent have to be to prevent reverse draft.
      www.woodandwax.net

Comment

the height depends on where you live and local codes. if you really want to live on the side of caution i would go 18" higher. you should not get a neg. draft if your house is pressurised right anyway.watch putting in that furnace. 70,000 is a hugh furnace to put in a garage. this furnace may have been cheap but will cost a lot in utilities, your probably rolling your eyes but you will find out later. i just put a 45000 btu in a 3 bay double door garage the other day and ran spiral duct everywhere, works well up here in our cold wheater allready. watch if you park a car in the garage as well if you are laxed on filter changes the dust will swirl your paint like a sandblaster
        Last edited by proplumb; 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM. Reason: i wish i could spell
        how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Hey Proplumb, are you saying 70,000 is to big for the garage? I live in northern IL.
          I only plan on having it above 5o when I am working in the garage for woodworking. The walls are plaster but I don't know if they are insulated.
          Should I vent through the chimeny (see first post)
          Thanks
          Bob
          www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
            Should I vent through the chimeny
            No one can safely answer that question without knowing, the total chimney height, the type and size of liner (if any), and the btu ratings of the other appliances venting into this tile. I assume the woodburning fireplace is tied in to its own tile. You'd want to make sure you didnt vent the garage heater in the same tile as the fireplace, as its illegal to have a gas burning appliance vent into the same area as a solid fuel appliance.

Comment

Could I put the furnace outside of the garage in it's own little house and then run duct to the inside of the garage. Let it pull fresh air from the outside, and have it's own chimeny?
              www.woodandwax.net

Comment

i live in alberta canada i bet my winters colder. a 45000 btu would be better suited for you but i can tell thats not whayt you want. you could put it in its own "house" but why bother. you can put a new chimney through your roof providing you are the legal distance from windows, intakes, other chimneys and other local codes. its hard to give a suggestion to you without seeing your house pics would be the only way anyone could even start to help you. check your codes, for us a burner must be min 18" off the floor so most have to be built on stands. more info needed
                how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone. Guess maybe I better call a pro and be sure it's done right.
                  Thanks again to everyone
                  www.woodandwax.net

Comment

You can not vent appliances using different fuel sources into the same flue. The wood stove and a gas appliance are a definate no no. Check with the local fire dept. If you get this wrong and something goes wrong (fire, explosion death.... all the usual stuff) Your insurance co will most likely deny the claim.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X